Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    women are smarter. As another person pointed out, there's more variability in our minds.

But in overall numbers, women have higher entry into higher education and in general have usually done better in GCSEs too.

Dont think it really inherently matters for anything

(Original post by 27FT)
    Intelligence doesn't depend on your biological sex. It's entirely basedon the individual, their upbringing, the access to education that they've had. People define intelligence in different ways. You are right that more men are in the STEM sector but that's a problem regarding social construct not a lack of intelligence on one part.
    Basically this

./ thread

ReputationRep:
    Biological sex =/= how intelligent someone is.

(Original post by Ismaeel Ali)
    I personally believe Ants are smarter than both men and women, but thats just me i think, dunno if anyone agrees tbh
    I vehemently disagree, mice are smarter than ants. :nope:

ReputationRep:
    men think with their peewees!

ReputationRep:
    If we look at school results at gcse level girls outperform boys every year

but like someone pointed out, I think men are more varied in their intelligence level so you are more likely to get an extremely smart man, and an extremely dumb man ...than an extremely smart woman and an extremely dumb woman..

so to answer the question are men smarter than women?, I would have to say yes ...but also no

(Original post by faloodeh)
    men think with their peewees!
    While Faloodehs think with their ankles :slap:

ReputationRep:
    I dunno is it? You answer that.

ReputationRep:
    Women have a lot more obstacles to overcome so when a woman really makes it in science, commerce or academia, she must be extremely able to have over come sexism and other examples of structural violence she would have faced to get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah men are generally smarter.

This is because the neurons in a male brain are more densely packed so therefore neurons can connect to each other faster and transmit signals more efficiently.

Sorry for going anon can't risk it.
    Reference?

ReputationRep:
    I don't imagine there is a significant difference. I don't think average GCSE results or number of people entering higher education or earning STEM or whatever degrees are telling statistics regarding the intelligence of each sex. People are encouraged differently depending on their sex, and even if they weren't, I believe the sexes are innately differently inclined toward things anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't underestimate women in terms of intelligence... I was a bit surprised seeing the other comments of how men could be smarter.
    IMO we just have to accept that there are smart people and people on the other end of the spectrum in every gender... there's not much of a difference nowadays in school

ReputationRep:
    Maybe

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why performing well in art or drama etc isnt classed as intelligence? Arent Beethoven and Motzart intelligent?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Girls have never been given an equal chance at education. When boys were being sent to school and made to work in workshops, girls were cooking and cleaning. Which do you think is a better environment to invent stuff? This is like saying that America is more developed than India, and so Americans are smarter.

Girls outperform boys at SAT and GSCE. If you're talking about career choices, society socializes (brainwashes) girls into these. As Rowanne's answer stated, it's not easy going for girls in STEM. Think about how it would be for a guy who really want to do a diploma in home ec. This results from stereotypes and not interest. Sociological research shows trends increasing of girls in STEM careers as in-bred stereotypes lessen and girls are allowed more chances. Besides, what makes you say that arts and literature don't require brains?

Sexists getting triggered lol. By the way, "feminist" isn't an insult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Effy..)
    I don't understand why performing well in art or drama etc isnt classed as intelligence? Arent Beethoven and Motzart intelligent?
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Two words: Ada Lovelace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daario333)
    women are smarter. As another person pointed out, there's more variability in our minds.

But in overall numbers, women have higher entry into higher education and in general have usually done better in GCSEs too.

Dont think it really inherently matters for anything
    Higher entry because men are more likely to study STEM subjects whereas women are more likely to study social sciences etc. which are far easier to study and be accepted into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    While Faloodehs think with their ankles :slap:
    LOL'd. habibi come off anon and ill show you my ankles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femineest)
    Higher entry because men are more likely to study STEM subjects whereas women are more likely to study social sciences etc. which are far easier to study and be accepted into.
    Men don't study STEM because they're better able. It's because men prefer it more than women.

Also that still doesn't explain why women do better at GCSEs and A levels.

Also you didnt address the fact that men have more variability in their minds than women so thats why it gives the impression theyre smarter even though on average that isnt the case.

Your argument is weak.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.