The Student Room Group

Cambridge Advanced Diploma in Economics 2018 intake

Hi!

I was wondering if other people were considering applying to the econ diploma at Cambridge (or were accepted in previous years) so that we could share our thought and questions about the application process.

I am international student, will graduate in 2018, BA in social science from top uni, top 2% of my cohort. Currently an exchange student in the US.
I still need to retake the GRE because I didn't get the scores I wanted the first time.

Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by eaa.che
Hi!

I was wondering if other people were considering applying to the econ diploma at Cambridge (or were accepted in previous years) so that we could share our thought and questions about the application process.

I am international student, will graduate in 2018, BA in social science from top uni, top 2% of my cohort. Currently an exchange student in the US.
I still need to retake the GRE because I didn't get the scores I wanted the first time.

Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi there, I'm also planning on giving the Diploma in Economics a try during the same intake cycle. Just out of curiosity, which social science are you majoring in and which country is your main university in?
Reply 2
Original post by eaa.che
My program is similar to PPE, and I study in France.
Are you from the UK? If you don't mind me asking, what are you currently studying?

Oh I see! I'm not technically from the UK but I'm an international student studying in Oxford at the moment. I'm doing Physics and our course is pretty much very fixed in structure, so I haven't had much experience with undergraduate Economics haha. Do you know if most applicants get interviewed? Since they did say they might conduct them.
Reply 3
I think they there are no interviews for the course, but I might be wrong.
Reply 4
Hi! I'm still under consideration by department, any news anyone?
Reply 5
Does anyone know when we will hear back from them?
Reply 6
Original post by Andx
Does anyone know when we will hear back from them?

Hey there, has your status changed from "Submitted" to "Under Consideration"?
Reply 7
Original post by tttaro
Hey there, has your status changed from "Submitted" to "Under Consideration"?

yeah, a while ago. But I submitted my application early December, if that helps :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Andx
yeah, a while ago. But I submitted my application early December, if that helps :smile:

Ah I see, I've just submitted mine so the status hasn't changed. Also, I've read that most offers are made in Feb and March so I guess these next two months would be when they start deciding.
Reply 9
Original post by tttaro
Ah I see, I've just submitted mine so the status hasn't changed. Also, I've read that most offers are made in Feb and March so I guess these next two months would be when they start deciding.

I think it takes a couple of days for the status to change.
Last year final decisions were sent in April (according to the 2017 thread on TSR), i hope we don’t gave to wait this long :/
Reply 10
hey, any news? has anyone moved to degree committee yet?
Reply 11
Original post by Andx

hi. not yet. still under review by department. i think we will hear back in april as per the last year's thread.
Reply 12
Yeah, you're probably right. I wish we could hear sooner though!

What's your academic background (out of curiosity)?
Reply 13
Original post by Andx

Yep, still under review by department as well.
Reply 14
Original post by Andx
Yeah, you're probably right. I wish we could hear sooner though!

What's your academic background (out of curiosity)?

accounting and finance, rather low-tier uni and, therefore, i am still hesitating if it will affect my application... i will achieve a strong first class degree tough. also, one year work experience in an accountancy company. in my free time, i am a board member of the business society.

what about you?
Reply 15
Original post by w1952tq
accounting and finance, rather low-tier uni and, therefore, i am still hesitating if it will affect my application... i will achieve a strong first class degree tough. also, one year work experience in an accountancy company. in my free time, i am a board member of the business society.

what about you?

PPE; good grades but low GRE, no relevant experience. I think a strong first makes you a good candidate, no matter which uni you come from!
Reply 16
Original post by Andx
PPE; good grades but low GRE, no relevant experience. I think a strong first makes you a good candidate, no matter which uni you come from!

why did you do GRE? are you from the US? i am thinking now if it is of disadvantage that i did not sit the GRE exam. as per the application requirements, it was optional.
Reply 17
Yes the GRE is only required for those without a UK degree.

Also, I asked the admissions about the final decisions, and they said we should hear at the end of the month or first few days of April (I asked because I need to give an answer to other schools). I'm still at the department stage, which makes me think that it is either bad news or decisions are still far away.
Reply 18
Just moved to Awaiting approval by GAO. Don't really know the probability of getting an offer at this stage though.
Reply 19
Original post by Andx
Just moved to Awaiting approval by GAO. Don't really know the probability of getting an offer at this stage though.

I am still under review by department.

Does awaiting approval by GAO implies that the offer is just a matter of time? If yes, then congrats :wink:

Also, when did you apply? I applied on the very last day.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest