Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

titration with potassium manganate and iron practical Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so first I need to make a standard solution with 5 iron tablets and sulphuric acid. This needs to go in the volumetric flask I think. I am using potassium manganate and this will go in the burette. From my dilution calculation,w which I will show you below, I have worked out that I need to put 25cm3 in the burette for every titration I think. Because of this, I can conduct 10 titrations from one standard solution.

These are my calculations but I don't know how to put them into a practical:

So first I worked out the volume of potassium manganate when one iron tablet was used, and found that the volume of potassium manganate that would be put in burette was too small. My teacher told me to increase the number of iron tablets used or decrease the concentration of MnO4- to increase volume of MnO4-

Mr of C4H2FeO4 (the iron tablet is ferrous fumurate (iron)): 169.8
    I am given that the mass of one iron tablet is: 210g but I convert this to mg as told by my teacher so 210*10-3 mg
    Moles of Fe2+: 1.236749*10-3 (this would be in 250cm3 because that is how much can fit in the volumetric flask, which I have in my notes)
    Moles of Fe2+ in 25cm3 (i think this is done for the standard solution so this should be in the pipette): so i divided the moles of fe2+ by 10: 1.2367494*10-4
    Moles of MnO4- (this is the molar ratio which is *5 ): 2.47398*10-5
    Volume of MnO4- (I am given that the concentration of MnO4- is 0.02): 1.23674*10-3 so this would be 1.23674 dm3

so then i increased the number of tablets (the maximum number of tablets per titration i can use is 5):
    moles of fe2+: (0.21*5)/169.8=6.183745583*10-3
    moles of fe2+ in 25cm3: 6.183745583*10-4
    moles of MnO4-:1.236749117*10-4 cm3
    volume of MnO4-:6.183745585*10-3=6.18374558 dm3 so this is still too small.

then I did the dilution calculation:
    Dilution of MnO4-: 1/2 * 1/2 * 0.02 (the concentration given this is)= 2.5 *10-3 mol dm3
    =24.734 cm3

then my teacher gave me the ratio
    1:4
    ?:250
    25:100
    my teacher said 25 (i suppose cm3) in the pipette and 100(cm3) in the flask
    and then add of the solution to the burette.

Have I even done the dilution calculation correctly and what exactly does the ratios mean. please help
    actually now that i have done the dilution calculation i think have multiplied the concentration of 0.02 by 1/8 so 1/2*1/2*1/2*0.02 which gives me 2.5*10-3
    does this mean the ratio is 1:8 and what does this mean for the volumes. i haven't replaced this with my original calculation because I don't even know if this is even correct. this is so much harder!!

ReputationRep:
    Those are big iron tablets.

Why are you saying you are using potassium manganate when you give the formula for permanganate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Those are big iron tablets.

Why are you saying you are using potassium manganate when you give the formula for permanganate?
    no i am using potassium manganate (KMnO4) but obviously the MnO4- ions are the ones I am interested in.
    do you understand how i would dilute the potassium manganate ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esmeralda123)
    no i am using potassium manganate (KMnO4) but obviously the MnO4- ions are the ones I am interested in.
    do you understand how i would dilute the potassium manganate ?
    Potassium manganate has the formula K2MnO4, potassium permanganate has the formula KMn04, they are different chemicals.

Yes, I think I understand what you are doing, you are trying to find how much ferric II is in the iron tablets by titrating it with KMnO4. The MnO4- ion which is purple oxidises the ferric II to ferric III and the MnO4- is reduced to Mn2+, which is a very pale pink.

I find what you have written rather confusing and you only need two significant decimal places in your calculations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.