Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Archimedes’ principle states that the up thrust acting on a body immersed partly or wholly in a fluid is equal to the weight of fluid displaced. A cylindrical fishing float is 15 cm long, with an average cross section of 3 cm2. It is made of polystyrene and has negligible mass. A lead weight of 30 g is attached to the bottom of the float using a thin nylon monofilament line.
    g = 10 N kg–1

6. Assuming the weight and line to be of negligible volume, calculate how far will the float sink into the water?

Any idea how i could go about this?

ReputationRep:
    Are you after the equilibrium position, or the lowerst position reached if the weight is suddenly added to the float?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Are you after the equilibrium position, or the lowerst position reached if the weight is suddenly added to the float?
    Anything. I want to know how to do something. Actually, maybe i should search up what Archimedes principle is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyoustele)
    Anything. I want to know how to do something. Actually, maybe i should search up what Archimedes principle is
    If it's a physics question that wouldn't be a bad idea but you don't really need it here.

But as I said, there seem to me to be 2 reasonable interpretations of the question, and they require quite different approaches.

Maybe post the entire question?

ReputationRep:
    If it's a physics question that wouldn't be a bad idea but you don't really need it here.

But as I said, there seem to me to be 2 reasonable interpretations of the question, and they require quite different approaches.

Maybe post the entire question?
    That is the entire question.

ReputationRep:
    That is the entire question.
    Why do you have a preamble and then a question number in that case?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have a preamble and then a question number in that case?
    What do you mean by preamble?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by preamble?
    This:

Archimedes’ principle states that the up thrust acting on a body immersed partly or wholly in a fluid is equal to the weight of fluid displaced. A cylindrical fishing float is 15 cm long, with an average cross section of 3 cm2. It is made of polystyrene and has negligible mass. A lead weight of 30 g is attached to the bottom of the float using a thin nylon monofilament line.
    g = 10 N kg–1
    is the preamble.

If what you had posted was the entire question, I would expect something like:

6. Archimedes’ principle states that the up thrust acting on a body immersed partly or wholly in a fluid is equal to the weight of fluid displaced. A cylindrical fishing float is 15 cm long, with an average cross section of 3 cm2. It is made of polystyrene and has negligible mass. A lead weight of 30 g is attached to the bottom of the float using a thin nylon monofilament line.
    g = 10 N kg–1

Assuming the weight and line to be of negligible volume, calculate how far will the float sink into the water?
    Conversely, if I see

g = 10 N kg–1

6. Assuming the weight and line to be of negligible volume, calculate how far will the float sink into the water?
    I am left wondering what happened to questions 1,2,3 4 and 5...

[I'm sorry if this comes across as too accusatory, but the number of times I (and others) have struggled through multiple posts of confusion where the OP insists they've posted the entire question and it finally transpires that they haven't is a lot higher than it ought to be...]

ReputationRep:
    The question, has previous questions before it. When it gets to question 6. It has the Premeable just above it. followed by questions 6,7,8,9. without the premeable.

and then before question 10. the is another premeable. followed by Q 11,12,13,14. Then it ends.

Nvm though i just realised i dont have to these.

ReputationRep:
    The question, has previous questions before it. When it gets to question 6. It has the Premeable just above it. followed by questions 6,7,8,9. without the premeable.
    If 7, 8, and 9 are about the same question, it would be useful to see them.

To explain:

A quite normal progression in these questions is to start off with a setup (described in the preamble), and then get you to first find the equilibrium position (*), and then later talk about finding the behaviour when the object is disturbed from the equilibrium position in some way (**).

Alternatively, a question that doesn't break things down into sub-questions might essentially jump to part (**) without expressly getting you to do (*) first.

From what you've written, it's hard to tell if your question is expecting a (*) answer or a (**) answer. Knowing there are other questions makes (*) more likely, but seeing the actual questions would help.

Anyhow, if you don't need to do it anyhow, you can ignore me, but I hope this explains a bit about why I was pressing so much on "is this the whole question?".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.