Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend went on holiday and came back with presents for everyone in our group. The presents were not expensive or anything but more of a little gift. She had gone to a market there and bought lots of jewellery. Most of it was necklaces which were all sparkly and had pendants of dragon flies, birds, dolphins, wolves etc. She went around the group and essentially let everyone pick one. I would have been happy with any of them. However when she got to me, she paused went into her bag and pulled out some old coins. She presented me with 3 grubby worthless coins. They obviously are not rare and she said she "picked them out of a well". One of the others asked why she gave me old coins and not jewellery like everyone else and she replied "Well I thought she would prefer them more"

I was quite surprised, I would have much preferred a cheap necklace if I was being honest and I do wear jewellery. What would you think if you received old coins and everyone else got jewellery and a nice gift? Why do you think she gave me the coins and nobody else?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend went on holiday and came back with presents for everyone in our group. The presents were not expensive or anything but more of a little gift. She had gone to a market there and bought lots of jewellery. Most of it was necklaces which were all sparkly and had pendants of dragon flies, birds, dolphins, wolves etc. She went around the group and essentially let everyone pick one. I would have been happy with any of them. However when she got to me, she paused went into her bag and pulled out some old coins. She presented me with 3 grubby worthless coins. They obviously are not rare and she said she "picked them out of a well". One of the others asked why she gave me old coins and not jewellery like everyone else and she replied "Well I thought she would prefer them more"

I was quite surprised, I would have much preferred a cheap necklace if I was being honest and I do wear jewellery. What would you think if you received old coins and everyone else got jewellery and a nice gift? Why do you think she gave me the coins and nobody else?
    It's less about what she got you and more about her thinking about you individually.
    Maybe she's seen you show some interest in coins or thinks sparkly jewellery isn't your thing. She may have got that wrong, but she took the effort to get you a personal gift.
    She likes you and wants to make you happy by giving you something special. Focus on that.

Appreciate the effort you greedy rascal. At least she made the effort of getting them "grubby coins" for you.

ReputationRep:
    maybe they're special coins that will be worth alot more later on in life

(Original post by Kindred)
    It's less about what she got you and more about her thinking about you individually.
    Maybe she's seen you show some interest in coins or thinks sparkly jewellery isn't your thing. She may have got that wrong, but she took the effort to get you a personal gift.
    She likes you and wants to make you happy by giving you something special. Focus on that.
    Oh, OP's just gunna come back with "but they were grubby" :rolleyes:

Appreciate the effort you greedy rascal. At least she made the effort of getting them "grubby coins" for you.
    Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the fact that she got me a gift regardless of what it is. I just found it an odd gift to give a young person who doesn't show any interest in coins or ancient history or something like that. She seemed to think of me differently to the others and I don't know if that is a good thing or not. She may have thought I was more boyish and didn't like sparkles or perhaps she thinks of me as unique and into history or something.

Essentially I want to know if there is more to it than just some "grubby coins" for her

ReputationRep:
    Polish them up with brasso and make a Christmas decoration with them.

ReputationRep:
    Yo why don't you just ask her tbh?? It has to better than assuming stuff ant her and sticking w what might be wrong... that's just imo tho tbh

(Original post by amphibology)
    Yo why don't you just ask her tbh?? It has to better than assuming stuff ant her and sticking w what might be wrong... that's just imo tho tbh
    I was going to but my other friends did it for me. She reckons it was because she was one present short and didn't want to go back to the market so just grabbed these coins from a random well instead

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.