Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently had a part-time job as a cash office supervisor and had been previously doing the job for just under 12 months at another store and had no problems. I then left the company for 6 months and returned to this job where I made a few mistakes but had only been doing the job for a week and they didn’t really give me a refresh course on the job. However, the manager found out i was Dyslexia and Dyscalculia and removed me and put me on the shop floor. She said if I would have said to her in the beginning she wouldn’t not have hired me for the job but would have hired me for a shop floor assistant but during the interview she said the only job going would be the cash office supervisor. She said she found out after emailing the other store and they mentioned it in a email, but I phoned the other store and they said they haven’t sent an email in the last couple of weeks. Also, when I first got the job she said she was going to be contacting the other store to get some information, I thought she would have found out then but she said she hadn’t phoned them just HR.

I thought it is up to me to mention my disability?

Have I been discriminated against?
    �8�s!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanomara2012)
    I recently had a part-time job as a cash office supervisor and had been previously doing the job for just under 12 months at another store and had no problems. I then left the company for 6 months and returned to this job where I made a few mistakes but had only been doing the job for a week and they didn’t really give me a refresh course on the job. However, the manager found out i was Dyslexia and Dyscalculia and removed me and put me on the shop floor. She said if I would have said to her in the beginning she wouldn’t not have hired me for the job but would have hired me for a shop floor assistant but during the interview she said the only job going would be the cash office supervisor. She said she found out after emailing the other store and they mentioned it in a email, but I phoned the other store and they said they haven’t sent an email in the last couple of weeks. Also, when I first got the job she said she was going to be contacting the other store to get some information, I thought she would have found out then but she said she hadn’t phoned them just HR.

�8�s!!
    It's up to you if you mention it. But you can't whinge if they don't make reasonable adjustments.

If they can justify it, (it's not clear if they have) it's not discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's up to you if you mention it. But you can't whinge if they don't make reasonable adjustments.

If they can justify it, (it's not clear if they have) it's not discrimination.
    They haven’t made any adjustments just found out I have it and removed me from the job I was doing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanomara2012)
    They haven’t made any adjustments just found out I have it and removed me from the job I was doing.
    How are they supposed to have made adjustment if they didn’t know about it?

The logical thing to do is to ask for the adjustments you had in the previous role to be transferred across to this role (assuming it is the same company). The problem will be they would easily say it’s down to the mistakes that they have moved you, not because they found out about your circumstances. But you’d really need to speak to CAB or a lawyer to get clarity if there is a discrimination case. Even if there is, it’s a nasty process to go through even if you come out with some financial compensation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    How are they supposed to have made adjustment if they didn’t know about it?

The logical thing to do is to ask for the adjustments you had in the previous role to be transferred across to this role (assuming it is the same company). The problem will be they would easily say it’s down to the mistakes that they have moved you, not because they found out about your circumstances. But you’d really need to speak to CAB or a lawyer to get clarity if there is a discrimination case. Even if there is, it’s a nasty process to go through even if you come out with some financial compensation.

They just found out and removed me they didn't offer any adjustments and the previous store didn’t have any in place as I don’t need it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilentStorm16)
    They just found out and removed me they did not offer any adjustments.
    In their defence, you've not disclosed your disability; so you can't moan about this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They just found out and removed me they did not offer any adjustments.
    Maybe they didn’t know what adjustments to put in place, so it was easier to move you to another job. Maybe they can’t offer the same adjustments even if they did know about them. Maybe they (wrongly) assume you are happier in the new position.

What adjustments did you have in the old role? Have you asked them to be implemented?

Unless you have a conversation with them about this, they are probably going to default to the easiest/quickest option, especially if there have been errors in your work.

If you are saying you don’t need any adjustments, why on earth would they implement any?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    In their defence, you've not disclosed your disability; so you can't moan about this.
    I don’t have disclose it and they found out and removed me from the role.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming that job role involves writing and working with numbers though so not sure why you applied for it? I have health conditions and technically classed as disabled so I don't apply for jobs I know I couldn't do.
    It is up to you to mention your disability and you don't have to. It is not legal for employers to ask health questions either.
    I wouldn't say you've been discriminated against but I would simply be thankful that she gave you a new position, rather than sack you!
    I can see your reasoning and hers but ultimately, it has worked out okay in the end as you're still employed. She has made reasonable adjustment to you by giving you a new role, but if she had fired you, then it would've been seen as unfair dismissal.

�8�s!!

ReputationRep:
    I do not want adjustments. its the fact they found out and removed me without offering any support. The previous store knew about it and it wasn't an issue with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    I'm assuming that job role involves writing and working with numbers though so not sure why you applied for it? I have health conditions and technically classed as disabled so I don't apply for jobs I know I couldn't do.
    It is up to you to mention your disability and you don't have to. It is not legal for employers to ask health questions either.
    I wouldn't say you've been discriminated against but I would simply be thankful that she gave you a new position, rather than sack you!
    I can see your reasoning and hers but ultimately, it has worked out okay in the end as you're still employed. She has made reasonable adjustment to you by giving you a new role, but if she had fired you, then it would've been seen as unfair dismissal.
    I had been doing the role for a year in a different location before taking 6 months out and then went back to the same company but different location. I can do the job but I had only been doing it a week and the company changed a few things
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I do not want adjustments. its the fact they found out and removed me without offering any support. The previous store knew about it and it wasn't an issue with them.
    But the problem here is that there have been mistakes made. If you are saying you don’t want adjustments, then they have some grounds to suggest the move to the latest role is fair, because you are not competent in the old role and they can’t provide any adjustments if you are suggesting none are needed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.