Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Resitting and self teaching an A level. Should I? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've already done my A levels but I want to resit and improve them to get into a better uni. I've already done English literature, have all the notes etc and my school is letting me resit as a private candidate because it's too expensive for me to resit and be taught as a normal student. Do u think it would be possible for me to resit by myself next year? Some say no because with English u need help checking your essays etc but I have all the notes and past essays for every possible question so all I need to do is revise and rewrite them (I almost got an A* but one paper let me down because I was ill so I think I could do it and my teachers do too) but I want to ask someone with experience of resitting and self teaching an essay subject they've done before. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mondayblues90)
    I've already done my A levels but I want to resit and improve them to get into a better uni. I've already done English literature, have all the notes etc and my school is letting me resit as a private candidate because it's too expensive for me to resit and be taught as a normal student. Do u think it would be possible for me to resit by myself next year? Some say no because with English u need help checking your essays etc but I have all the notes and past essays for every possible question so all I need to do is revise and rewrite them (I almost got an A* but one paper let me down because I was ill so I think I could do it and my teachers do too) but I want to ask someone with experience of resitting and self teaching an essay subject they've done before. Thank you
    If you're do three years, then that puta the top uni's out of sight usually. So what's so bad about getting an A? The advantage of getting an A* would be outweighed by the negative impact doing three years has on a university application.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I’m a year 13 who is entirely self studying English Literature, and mostly self-studies History due to illness.

The key to success in essay based subjects is actually getting the feedback. I have teachers look over my essays and give me improvement markers, do you have access to anyone in Eng Lit who would be willing to help you do so?

And then of course the usual know you content, know your context, know your quotes and themes etc.

Also work on timing. Particularly as you get closer to the exams, time yourself as you would for an exam and make sure you’re not sneaking a look at the mark scheme for prompts.

You got an A so you’re well versed in this, it’s just about taking it a step further for those top marks. Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyy)
    If you're do three years, then that puta the top uni's out of sight usually. So what's so bad about getting an A? The advantage of getting an A* would be outweighed by the negative impact doing three years has on a university application.
    I didn't get an A grade I got a D overall, the paper that let me down was a very very low grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Hello! I’m a year 13 who is entirely self studying English Literature, and mostly self-studies History due to illness.

The key to success in essay based subjects is actually getting the feedback. I have teachers look over my essays and give me improvement markers, do you have access to anyone in Eng Lit who would be willing to help you do so?

And then of course the usual know you content, know your context, know your quotes and themes etc.

Also work on timing. Particularly as you get closer to the exams, time yourself as you would for an exam and make sure you’re not sneaking a look at the mark scheme for prompts.

You got an A so you’re well versed in this, it’s just about taking it a step further for those top marks. Good luck!
    I didn't get an A grade I got a D overall, the paper that let me down was a very very low grade

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, when you said you nearly got an A* overall it implies you got an A?

May I ask how you did in the individual papers, and is it just one you’d need to resist? (AKA Did you get like AAE or something)

ReputationRep:

I normally do not comment on random forums. But, I 100 percent believe you should resit. I did my A levels and got BBD. I then self taught myself on a gap year and resat 5 modules and got A*AB in the end. I recently just graduated from a top RG uni. Trust me, A levels are important. Don't go to a uni that you are embarrassed by. Back your ability, work hard and with obsession and you will do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Ohh, when you said you nearly got an A* overall it implies you got an A?

May I ask how you did in the individual papers, and is it just one you’d need to resist? (AKA Did you get like AAE or something)
    Sorry I should have been clearer I got A*, A and an E in the papers and an A in my coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I should have been clearer I got A*, A and an E in the papers and an A in my coursework.
    Ahh okay, so it’s just the one paper.

You should definitely resit in that case! It could take your grade from a D to an A. If it was just illness on the day, you should be okay to sit it again. ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunnerzman88)
    I normally do not comment on random forums. But, I 100 percent believe you should resit. I did my A levels and got BBD. I then self taught myself on a gap year and resat 5 modules and got A*AB in the end. I recently just graduated from a top RG uni. Trust me, A levels are important. Don't go to a uni that you are embarrassed by. Back your ability, work hard and with obsession and you will do well.
    Really motivational story to read thank you 😄🎉

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.