Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have really yellow teeth and absolutely hate it as you can imagine.
    Does anyone have any really good affordable treatments I could get (e.g. gels, strips...) that I can do at home and can last for a long time?
    (Also pls don't mention any homemade remedies)
    Pls I'm ACTAULLY so desperate
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherryblossom200)
    Does anyone have any really good affordable treatments I could get (e.g. gels, strips...) that I can do at home and can last for a long time?
    There's none that are good. Be careful, many damage your enamel and that makes it even more yellow in the long term.

Best thing is to brush thoroughly, then when you can afford have laser whitening as it doesnt damage your enamel

ReputationRep:
    Tried Googling some methods?

ReputationRep:
    Mine are similar but because I'm using a lot of Colgate brand toothpaste, they look much whiter, I just need braces now to fix the gap and and one crooked tooth issue, then I can have the perfect smile.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen some really good methods using things you'd have at home. All of these mainly use baking powder for the whitening mix.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Try whitening toothpaste twice a day. I find they make a difference. Avoid sugary foods and things that stain like tea.

ReputationRep:
    Since 2012 hydrogen peroxide is limited to 6% in the UK for teeth whitening because of EU regulations which is annoying because I had mine done recently and it was barely noticeable, in other countries like America they go from 25% to 40% hydrogen peroxide and so get the SUPER bright white smiles after just one treatment. The home products there are also like 10% Hydrogen peroxide so they get better results than our professional treatments at a fraction of the price. Apparently some countries in the EU haven't adapted the regulations and so you can still get high percentage HP treatment and products but I haven't looked into that.

So if you want your teeth whitened, truth is most things in the UK are a waste of money. 6% hydrogen will only remove a few layers of stains but will hardly 'bleach' your teeth

Don't follow any of those bicarbonate of soda things, people who see results probably dont brush properly, brushing your teeth properly means you'll see no results with the bicarbonate of soda thing, its also extremely abrasive and damages your teeth. It doesn't whiten your teeth, its just removes stains which a normal toothbrush and 'whitening' toothpaste can do (except they actually improve your teeth health)

ReputationRep:
    No offense but half the people here are spewing bs.

Dont drink too much coffee and have less cigarettes but the best treatment is:

Mix baking soda and lemon juice together into a paste, it should be of thick consistency so dont make it too watery. Then as normal take your toothbrush and brush your teeth with it as if its toothpaste.

Il be honest I dont know if its the placebo effect but I saw instant results.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.