Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think i've taken completely the wrong subject at Uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so i'll start off with a bit of background:
    I was an average student at college, I took humanites heavy subjects (History, English Lit, Philosophy, Film and Politics AS (the latter because I stayed for a third year) and got mostly Bs and Cs. I have always had a huge passion for History and did well at A-Level but was dissuaded from taking it at Uni by relatives because I would never get a job etc etc. So I really had no plans to go to Uni and at 19 needed to get a 'real' career, so I searched for an apprenticeship in IT, specifically software development as coding intrigued me and it's a real skill. After a gruelling few months of applying everywhere I came to the conclusion that I wasn't gonna get even the most entry level apprenticeship seeing as if you had no IT A-Levels they wanted students who were 16-18 becuase they could pay less. So I worked at various min wage jobs until 21. Seeing as I was going nowhere and all of my freinds were doing well, I started to look into going to uni and trying to enter software development via that route.

Fast forward a few months and I feel like I have made a huge mistake. I enrolled in a Software Engineering course at Uni and feel like I have messed my life up. Everything in lectures/seminars goes straight over my head, i'm not interested in what i'm doing, my initial interest in the subject has gone. Especially, the Maths and Computer Architecture modules of my course frustrate and confuse me so much that I often get angry or have mini panic attacks in class. I sit for hours on end studying this stuff and nothing ever makes sense, and even if it does I find it a major chore. Whats more is that when i'm not studying my hobby is watching and reading history related stuff, which is frustrating becuase I think "why the hell did I not do this instead?". I'm really to the point where I just want to jump off a bridge and I feel like I can't tell my family becuase I don't want them to get worried and I don't want to let them down by messing this up. I just feel like i've ruined my life.

ReputationRep:
    Please get help tomorrow.....Go to your uni and tell them, show them this post......it’s never too late to change direction, and tomorrow is as good a time as any. Don’t worry about what others may think, it’s your life and your money..... do what you have a passion for, study what you believe in.....
    Get help soon, ask lots of questions, tell your tutor, you may be able to change course, you may have to change uni. I am a mother and have heard all sorts of “horror stories” of students who have gone on the wrong course or to the wrong uni, or it just didn’t work out, first time, but then, with time, the same students have reset their priorities, changed their course, their uni, or their outlook and done really well....... it won’t be easy, but it will be worth it in the end, don’t beat yourself up about it, just don’t sit there worrying, take action first thing Monday morning, it will be a weight off your mind.... and good luck with whatever you end up doing......
    All the best..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdnte)
    Ok, so i'll start off with a bit of background:
    I was an average student at college, I took humanites heavy subjects (History, English Lit, Philosophy, Film and Politics AS (the latter because I stayed for a third year) and got mostly Bs and Cs. I have always had a huge passion for History and did well at A-Level but was dissuaded from taking it at Uni by relatives because I would never get a job etc etc. So I really had no plans to go to Uni and at 19 needed to get a 'real' career, so I searched for an apprenticeship in IT, specifically software development as coding intrigued me and it's a real skill. After a gruelling few months of applying everywhere I came to the conclusion that I wasn't gonna get even the most entry level apprenticeship seeing as if you had no IT A-Levels they wanted students who were 16-18 becuase they could pay less. So I worked at various min wage jobs until 21. Seeing as I was going nowhere and all of my freinds were doing well, I started to look into going to uni and trying to enter software development via that route.

Fast forward a few months and I feel like I have made a huge mistake. I enrolled in a Software Engineering course at Uni and feel like I have messed my life up. Everything in lectures/seminars goes straight over my head, i'm not interested in what i'm doing, my initial interest in the subject has gone. Especially, the Maths and Computer Architecture modules of my course frustrate and confuse me so much that I often get angry or have mini panic attacks in class. I sit for hours on end studying this stuff and nothing ever makes sense, and even if it does I find it a major chore. Whats more is that when i'm not studying my hobby is watching and reading history related stuff, which is frustrating becuase I think "why the hell did I not do this instead?". I'm really to the point where I just want to jump off a bridge and I feel like I can't tell my family becuase I don't want them to get worried and I don't want to let them down by messing this up. I just feel like i've ruined my life.
    First of all well done in getting into university and even more so for questioning at an early point whether you are on the right course.

You need to speak with your tutors to see where you might be missing the point, and with other students to see where they are coping better. Accept that there is a decent chance that these are early days and you haven't quite got the techniques yet. Also accept that software engineering pays well as most people can't do it.

If you decide to change course be sure to do it within the first year for funding reasons, and do lots of research into what other courses may suit you better.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice guys, i've been in touch with uni and am in the process of switching course

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.