Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just finished uni and I'm so lonely. The few uni friends I had are too far away and I have no one in my home town. On top of all that my boyfriend finished with me 2 weeks ago.

I study distance learning, and work part-time but in my job I don't see anyone. I really don't know what to do I feel so stuck.

All I see on facebook is other people having fun and getting on with their lives and I have none of that.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you’re feeling so low have you got school friends who are still in the area? If so, reach out to them, it’s always nice to reconnect with old friends! Spend time with your family, they will always be there for you! Save up and make plans to go and visit your uni friends - this will give you something to look forward to! Any hobbies you can get involved in? Even if it’s just going to a fitness class, it will get you talking to new people!

Remember, this feeling won’t last forever & most people will feel like this at some point but it will get better even though you might feel like it won’t!

As for Facebook, it is the worst thing to look at when you feel like this - no-ones life is as amazing as they make it out to be! Take some time off social media, get yourself out, even if it is on your own! Doing things alone will make you feel more independent & you will meet people along the way! Go for a run, go for a shopping trip, figure out what you enjoy doing, the rest will follow

It will get better x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've just finished uni and I'm so lonely. The few uni friends I had are too far away and I have no one in my home town. On top of all that my boyfriend finished with me 2 weeks ago.

I study distance learning, and work part-time but in my job I don't see anyone. I really don't know what to do I feel so stuck.

All I see on facebook is other people having fun and getting on with their lives and I have none of that.
    Sorry to hear that but you won't be in this situation forever! Use this time by yourself to do things you like to do. Engage in hobbies you like, and maybe try some new hobbies. I have a lot of free time at the moment as i am on a year out of university for my mental health, and i spend my free time doing whatever i want to do. You could visit family or arrange to meet up with the uni friends you made? If you start doing something new, like a fitness class for example, you may meet more people. You could also start talking to the people you have on facebook as well and catch up with them. Try and see this time as a period of self development and time for you. A lot of people may crave to have some alone time so try not to see it as a massively bad thing (although it's difficult.) Hope things get better soon.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.