Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got extremely oily skin and growing up I was awfully prone to breakouts which badly affected my self esteem in fact it was so bad that I was referred to a dermatologist with the view to going on a course of Roaccunate which I only refused because of the horrible side effects.

There is precious little good information online; probably the only conspiracy theory I subscribe to is that drug companies understate the huge degree with which lifestyle changes influence your skin's propensity to get acne and that it really is possible to get clean and clear skin without resorting to medication or drugs.

Bear it mind lastly that my skin is on the oily end of the spectrum so this may not work for you if yours is different.

1. Fresh air and sunlight. This works especially well if you have plenty of clean open areas near to you and the time to go outside on the reg. It will dry out the oil and sebum on your face and the Ultraviolet light in the sun's rays has natural anti-bacterial properties which will clean your face right up.

2. Regular swimming. I've found that going swimming in chlorine dries out by face which restores it to a level which is more in line with that of everyone else. I have read that you should not overuse this method since it can lead to overproduction of oils or that your face my dry out so be careful with this one.

3. Cutting out processed sugars and fats. I've read that officially there is no evidence that diet influences acne and skin and my experience suggests this could not be further from the truth. The one thing I consume which is does aggravate acne is a lot of dairy, in particular full fat milk so I've had to write this off as a guilty pleasure and eat cleanly around this.

4. Zinc supplements. This is where it starts to get controversial and before this I've never used supplements on the grounds that I was to stay as natural as possible, but I have began using this and my goodness has it paid dividends.

https://www.acneeinstein.com/zinc-for-acne/

The link explains some of the evidence but essentially zinc reduces the skin's sensitivity to the hormones which lead to acne as well as reducing the immune response to blocked pours which creates the unpleasant reddish colour which makes it so embarrassing.

I hoped you enjoyed reading and if anyone has another other tips post them below.
    :gotcha:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    I've got extremely oily skin and growing up I was awfully prone to breakouts which badly affected my self esteem in fact it was so bad that I was referred to a dermatologist with the view to going on a course of Roaccunate which I only refused because of the horrible side effects.

There is precious little good information online; probably the only conspiracy theory I subscribe to is that drug companies understate the huge degree with which lifestyle changes influence your skin's propensity to get acne and that it really is possible to get clean and clear skin without resorting to medication or drugs.

Bear it mind lastly that my skin is on the oily end of the spectrum so this may not work for you if yours is different.

1. Fresh air and sunlight. This works especially well if you have plenty of clean open areas near to you and the time to go outside on the reg. It will dry out the oil and sebum on your face and the Ultraviolet light in the sun's rays has natural anti-bacterial properties which will clean your face right up.

2. Regular swimming. I've found that going swimming in chlorine dries out by face which restores it to a level which is more in line with that of everyone else. I have read that you should not overuse this method since it can lead to overproduction of oils or that your face my dry out so be careful with this one.

3. Cutting out processed sugars and fats. I've read that officially there is no evidence that diet influences acne and skin and my experience suggests this could not be further from the truth. The one thing I consume which is does aggravate acne is a lot of dairy, in particular full fat milk so I've had to write this off as a guilty pleasure and eat cleanly around this.

4. Zinc supplements. This is where it starts to get controversial and before this I've never used supplements on the grounds that I was to stay as natural as possible, but I have began using this and my goodness has it paid dividends.

https://www.acneeinstein.com/zinc-for-acne/

The link explains some of the evidence but essentially zinc reduces the skin's sensitivity to the hormones which lead to acne as well as reducing the immune response to blocked pours which creates the unpleasant reddish colour which makes it so embarrassing.

I hoped you enjoyed reading and if anyone has another other tips post them below.
    :gotcha:
    I have been waiting for so long to help someone with acne out. OK listen and take notes
    1. Witch hazel
    2. Rose water
    3.Tea tree soap(antiseptic soap cleans pores from deep down.)
    4. Any face toner that suits your skin type
    5. While undertaking this avoid wearing make-up
    6. Use a weekly face steamer
    7. As you said you have oily skin I would have recommended vitamin E oil but that will worsen it so instead use Vitamin E oil cream aka Dr. Organic vitamin e cream

You can buy all of this from Holland and Barrett or Superdrug

Please please please keep me updated when results show

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My golly golly gosh.

I forgot one thing.

Two words: Salicylic acid.

This stuff is truly miraculous and I don't by toners of face washes without it. It gets under the skin and breaks down the acne causing sebum which means that those troublesome bums will get broken down and cleaned away.

(Original post by Aishabushra)
    I have been waiting for so long to help someone with acne out. OK listen and take notes
    1. Witch hazel
    2. Rose water
    3.Tea tree soap(antiseptic soap cleans pores from deep down.)
    4. Any face toner that suits your skin type
    5. While undertaking this avoid wearing make-up
    6. Use a weekly face steamer
    7. As you said you have oily skin I would have recommended vitamin E oil but that will worsen it so instead use Vitamin E oil cream aka Dr. Organic vitamin e cream

You can buy all of this from Holland and Barrett or Superdrug

Please please please keep me updated when results show

Good luck
    Thank you for this, I might give the vitamin E oil a go. It's hard because not all advice is tailoured to my skin

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.