Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why Are Adults Obsessed with Harry potter? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dont get me wrong, its an amazing book series and when i was at school etc we'd all get the books and go to watch the movies as soon as they were out.

But what i dont understand is the adults who've watched em as kids still just as obsessed? The movies ended long ago lol, i understand childhood nostalgia but at some point it seems weird hehe :lol:

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean obsessed? If you've been watching/reading something for 10-15 years then there's always going to be a certain amount of nostalgia/love that you hold for it.

I watched the films and read the books growing up and am now an adult, I enjoy watching the films still and enjoy the books even though they are targeted at children/teenagers. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed and it doesn't come up often but if the films are repeated on TV then I won't turn over the channel.

ReputationRep:
    I've never read the books or seen the films, and one of the reasons why is because there's such a huge obsession with it. My friends were trying to get me to do the official quiz to find out what house I'm in, even though I have no interest in it. Sure, I understand loving a book series, but to this extent? It all seems a bit over-the-top for me and to be honest, a little bit fake. Same with all of these film / Youtuber / book obsessions.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I must be even worse, I'm 25 and I walk around town every day with my How To Train Your Dragon rucksack :laugh:
    Fandoms have no age limit. In this day and age, it's important to have something you enjoy and for some people it's HP, especially if they grew up with it like many of us did. Each to their own though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RockyDennis)
    Holy f*ck are you serious?

The same reason people still watch the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, because their absolutely phenomenal pieces of lore that make you feel good.

Come with me and you'll be in a world of ****ing pure IMAGINATION, B*TCH.
    You have issues. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    'Cos as you said, we started reading the books when we were kids and some of us at least, watched the films well into our teenage/young adult years. You don't suddenly transform into a different person when you reach 18 or 20.

Some people try too hard to be "adult", it's cringey to watch tbh. Better to acknowledge that in some ways, you remain a "kid" than pretend you suddenly don't like Harry Potter 'cos you're too old or smth.

ReputationRep:
    I was obsessed with Harry Potter as a kid and although I will always like the movies and feel nostalgia for them, I have definitely outgrown it. There is a distinctly child-like aura to HP.

On the other hand, I love LotR just as much now as I did when I was young, it has a much more adult, sophisticated vibe to it.

ReputationRep:
    I have a scarce set of French stamps ...
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.