Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can the truth be hate speech? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Usually, hate speech is described by the anti-haters as being untrue. Could a true statement be hate speech?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avenue321)
    Usually, hate speech is described by the anti-haters as being untrue. Could a true statement be hate speech?
    Such as.....?
    Can you give an example of a true statement because I kinda don't get the question 😞

ReputationRep:
    Like an angrily stated fact??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aishabushra)
    Such as.....?
    Can you give an example of a true statement because I kinda don't get the question 😞
    I am asking you to give me an example of hate speech where what the person is saying is actually true.

ReputationRep:
    oh i've got one nazis shouldn't exist and should be punished for being Nazis or shunned.Same with ISIS people.

ReputationRep:
    For example saying Zionism is filthy, divisive and a threat to the freedom and integrity of the Modern Planet, is a factual declaration that can be evidenced upon request though it is often shun as an act of hate speech, that is any condemnation of the actions of the Illegal State of Israel!

ReputationRep:
    "Black people commit more crime per capita."

Stuff like that?

I suppose it depends how the facts are used. If facts are said with the intent to bully or belittle a group of people, it could be considered hate speech by some.

Nevertheless, I'm not really a fan of the concept of hate speech. It's too often subjective, hypocritical, political, and in conflict with free speech principles.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It could be seen as hate speech by those who don't agree or could be said in a way that makes it hate speech.

ReputationRep:
    I am asking you to give me an example of hate speech where what the person is saying is actually true.
    OK thanks for the clarification
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It being true doesn't non make something hate speech. Although it's hard to pin down boundaries for what is considered hate speech as it very much depends on how the individual takes things.

ReputationRep:
    Yes unfortunately - any statement can be 'hate speech' depending on how it's framed (usually by the people who don't want to hear it more so than those speaking when it comes to actually being true)

ReputationRep:
    I think that “hate speech” involves actively encouraging people to hate or act against a certain group of people. For example “[some group] are the scum of the earth, we should kill every last one of them!”

It wouldn’t be enough just to state facts like “black people commit more crimes per capita” - because so what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    "Black people commit more crime per capita."

Stuff like that?

I suppose it depends how the facts are used. If facts are said with the intent to bully or belittle a group of people, it could be considered hate speech by some.

Nevertheless, I'm not really a fan of the concept of hate speech. It's too often subjective, hypocritical, political, and in conflict with free speech principles.
    Hate speech would be more like "Black people commit more crime per capita BECAUSE they are black"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.