Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever watched a movie in the cinema by yourself? Watch

I'm going to watch Thor by myself for the first time and I'm not too bothered about going alone. Have you ever done this, would you feel self-conscious?

ReputationRep:
    Well you're not bothered so it doesn't matter but I wouldn't
    I eat and go to Starbucks alone sometimes though lol but thats if I'm mid-errand. The cinema is literally a place for friend and family fun and I feel the environment will be weird for a loner Idk.

ReputationRep:
    No but I don't think it's weird at all, you'll be immersed in the film and it would probably be a pretty enjoyable experience, I think so anyway.

I definitely wouldn't feel self-conscious, won't see most of these people again and nobody is gonna judge you for going to a cinema to see a film, if they are they're petty as hell.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to the cinema by myself on numerous occassions. I usually go on a monday morning because its cheaper. The most notable outing was when i went to see Logan, i had the WHOLE cinema to myself, it was perfect!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have a number of times. I prefer it.

ReputationRep:
    I go alone more often than I go with friends; it's easier to plan alone, it doesn't have to become a big outing (there's a cinema 10 minutes from my house that does £5 tickets, I love going there), and it's cheaper and faster. Only downside is that there's no post-film discussion, but hey, you go to the cinema to sit quietly and watch the film, not to chat.

(I will admit though, I saw Thor with my group of comic book nerd friends and it definitely enhanced the experience lol)

ReputationRep:
    Yes and was surprised to see many guys alone so was happy as didn't want to be the only one alone .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no

i would feel super self conscious.......
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've been to the cinema on my own several times. No weirder than watching a film at home on your own really.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No but if I didn't suffer from panic attacks and need someone with me when I'm outside, I'd happily go and see a film alone
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm going to watch Thor by myself for the first time and I'm not too bothered about going alone. Have you ever done this, would you feel self-conscious?
    I've gone tons of times. I used to have Cineworld unlimited and more recently a subscription with Odeon. Going to the movies isn't that popular an activity with my student friends as they could easily watch the movies for free or cheaply online instead.

There's no reason to feel self conscious and the experienced isn't in anyway diminished by going alone. It isn't as if you go to the cinema to chat. And at least you don't have to share your snacks with people that have questionable hygiene .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah done this twice, went in the day time so it wasn't busy. Booked tickets online and picked the up at one of the machines and just found a corner seat near the front. I frequently see people on their own at a cinema and don't think twice about it.

ReputationRep:
    I've not but I would

ReputationRep:
    Just once and I felt so self conscious!

ReputationRep:
    Once when I was stuck somewhere out of town all day and had nothing else to do.
    • Very Important Poster

Yes plenty of times.

Better as you get to see the film you want and you dont have annoying people who dont want to be there. Do it a few times and you wont look back. Loads of threads on his subject.

ReputationRep:
    I have on numerous occasions, I love it!

(Original post by JamesN88)
    Once when I was stuck somewhere out of town all day and had nothing else to do.
    How was your experience? Would you do it again?

ReputationRep:
    When I went travelling in New Zealand I went to the cinema twice on my own and honestly it wasn’t weird in the slightest, you’re sat in the dark no ones gonna care!

(Original post by AyoNW)
    I go alone more often than I go with friends; it's easier to plan alone, it doesn't have to become a big outing (there's a cinema 10 minutes from my house that does £5 tickets, I love going there), and it's cheaper and faster. Only downside is that there's no post-film discussion, but hey, you go to the cinema to sit quietly and watch the film, not to chat.

(I will admit though, I saw Thor with my group of comic book nerd friends and it definitely enhanced the experience lol)
    I was meant to go with friends initially but had to back out last min. It's why I'm going alone and it got me wondering how others experiences were.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.