Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Nvm
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrToodles4)
    f(x) = 2+x^1/2

part 1) find an expression for f^-1(x) - I got this: f^-1(X) = (x-2)^2

part 2). Sketch the graph in the same set of axes the graph of f(x0 and the graph of f^-1(x), clearly marking the line of reflection between the two graphs. - I also got this.

Part 3). Show that x=4 is the only solution of the equation f(x) = f^-1(x) - This is the bit I do not understand - normally I just take the original function so int his case 2+x^1/2 and equal this to y=x and solve - but the answer says you cannot use this method - I don't understand why so any help will be greatly appreciated. They took f^-1(x) and equalled this to y=x, Why is this the case?! won't both lines (all 3 points) intersect at y=x???
    What do you mean equate to y=x?

Solve f^-1 (x) = f (x), upon solving you square both sides which causes extra solutions which you have to check in the original equation to see if they hold true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    What do you mean equate to y=x?

Solve f^-1 (x) = f (x), upon solving you square both sides which causes extra solutions which you have to check in the original equation to see if they hold true.
    I got the answer now thank you. I got X = 4 and X =1. The answer says x=4 since x>2 (I think thats the domain of the new f^-1(x) function)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrToodles4)
    I got the answer now thank you. I got X = 4 and X =1. The answer says x=4 since x>2 (I think thats the domain of the new f^-1(x) function)
    It's because 1 doesn't work in the original equation  (1-2)^2 \neq 2+\sqrt{1}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    It's because 1 doesn't work in the original equation  (1-2)^2 \neq 2+\sqrt{1}
    Oh I see - so stuff like this I need to be weary of. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.