Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No motivation to do anything since I graduated Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I graduted in July and since then I have no goals in life, nothing, no direction and I have nothing to work towards now.

I have a good family, job, a boyfriend and a journalism degree in hand but for some reason I just don't feel like doing anything anymore because I feel I have all I need. this is what my life has come to, working every day in a dead office typing out articles for a small local newspaper. sometimes I cba to get out of bed to go to work. Even if I changed jobs, I would get bored after 3-4 months because that's me.

I don't know what else to do because working for a degree at uni was my ultimate goal and now that I have done that, i don't know what else to work towards.

Any advice? How can I inject new goals into my life?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What degree did you do, Journalism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hateocracy)
    I graduted in July and since then I have no goals in life, nothing, no direction and I have nothing to work towards now.

I have a good family, job, a boyfriend and a journalism degree in hand but for some reason I just don't feel like doing anything anymore because I feel I have all I need. this is what my life has come to, working every day in a dead office typing out articles for a small local newspaper. sometimes I cba to get out of bed to go to work. Even if I changed jobs, I would get bored after 3-4 months because that's me.

I don't know what else to do because working for a degree at uni was my ultimate goal and now that I have done that, i don't know what else to work towards.

Don't have much advice, just solidarity. I'm in pretty much the same position except my antipathy set in during my final year so I'm doing a masters and don't have a job, yet I don't have much motivation for it because it's just a way for me to waste another year. I spent years aiming to get into uni and since then I've just been coasting. I guess the main thing would be to think up a kind of 5 year plan? Like take stock of what your life is like now and decide what you want to change by 5 years' time (e.g. marriage, own a home, get a pet, get a certain salary, get a new job) and what you need to do to get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Yes

(Original post by Etoile)
    Don't have much advice, just solidarity. I'm in pretty much the same position except my antipathy set in during my final year so I'm doing a masters and don't have a job, yet I don't have much motivation for it because it's just a way for me to waste another year. I spent years aiming to get into uni and since then I've just been coasting. I guess the main thing would be to think up a kind of 5 year plan? Like take stock of what your life is like now and decide what you want to change by 5 years' time (e.g. marriage, own a home, get a pet, get a certain salary, get a new job) and what you need to do to get there.
    Thanks! a 5 year plan sounds good but all of those things you mentioned doesn't even seem that impressive, I can't think of anything life changing compared to getting my degree. marriage is boring and a house will still take years of working to get lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Thanks! a 5 year plan sounds good but all of those things you mentioned doesn't even seem that impressive, I can't think of anything life changing compared to getting my degree. marriage is boring and a house will still take years of working to get lol
    There’s something you can work towards - getting a house.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

I was just trying to think of general achievements - what about saving a certain amount per month in order to work towards a house? Or saving up for a round the world trip or something like that? You could also do night school to learn some extra skills like a language, or even do a postgraduate course via distance/evening learning. Or if you're sporty maybe you could do stuff like climbing a mountain (from Snowdon to Kilimanjaro) or running a marathon or taking part in an Iron Man competition. Extra impressive if you're actually not sporty! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Travel and get a history!

ReputationRep:
    good family? do you have kids? if not when you do your life will change. If you do well theres something...

ReputationRep:
    Choose other goals in all areas of your life.... work towards them 1 by 1. Life will end soon, so just work hard and wowrk towards something so you enjoy your time alive.

(Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    There’s something you can work towards - getting a house.
    f out the way, GIMMIEEE SOME ROOOOM, I got the advices maannnn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    f out the way, GIMMIEEE SOME ROOOOM, I got the advices maannnn
    Das gewd mayne... DAS REAL GEWWDDD...

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Watch this and see where it takes you, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d16CpWp-ok .

I have a good family, job, a boyfriend and a journalism degree in hand
      (Original post by shameful_burrito)
      Bit of an investigative journalist yourself, burrito.

ReputationRep:
      Use your money from your job to enjoy your time and find out what motivates you.
      You have done well to achieve your degree- have a break from goals- take a few long walks and smell the flowers do to speak- be kind to yourself🌻

ReputationRep:

Exactly in the same position as you!
      I also graduated in July this year and what I do everyday now is just sleeping and eating off my parents money. I know it sounds like I'm a useless and stupid person. But I really don't know what I should be doing or what's going on with my life. I don't even have a job, have no motivation to get one too. I've thought of many many things I want to do but never have enough courage to go out and get things done. Is this what it's called graduation depression???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by May-o2q)
      Exactly in the same position as you!
      I also graduated in July this year and what I do everyday now is just sleeping and eating off my parents money. I know it sounds like I'm a useless and stupid person. But I really don't know what I should be doing or what's going on with my life. I don't even have a job, have no motivation to get one too. I've thought of many many things I want to do but never have enough courage to go out and get things done. Is this what it's called graduation depression???

Posted from TSR Mobile
      I imagine it is just you being lazy, depression is a strong word.

You need to just get up and do something to work to one of the ideas you want to do, try make a small bit of progression to it every day. It is easy to not do anything when you are getting things handed to you on a plate, your parents just giving you money to do nothing all day isnt helping you at all

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by madmadmax321)
      I imagine it is just you being lazy, depression is a strong word.

You need to just get up and do something to work to one of the ideas you want to do, try make a small bit of progression to it every day. It is easy to not do anything when you are getting things handed to you on a plate, your parents just giving you money to do nothing all day isnt helping you at all
      Oh wow thanks! This wakes me up, I'm not sure if I'm just lazy as you said. But I constantly crying and feeling like I'm a very useless person. I don't have a car or anything, so going anywhere without my parents is unrealistic. I live in a country where there is no public transport, so maybe you will never understand. I have a strict curfew, can't go out after 7pm. I have been in the UK for my a levels and undergrads for a total of 5 years, coming back to my home country now and I have no single friend, my childhood friends all have their new friends and we aren't as close anymore. I'm the only child and I basically have no one to talk to about anything. I feel so lost everyday. Yes it's true, it's easy to not doing anything everyday. But not having anything to do, no goals is indeed very hard!
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
      • Section Leader
      • Political Ambassador
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      It sounds like you're stuck in a rut. If you continue the way you are, I don't think things will improve very much, so the solution in my mind is to shake things up. Moving abroad worked for me. That might not be the ideal solution for you, since you have a boyfriend, but it depends what you want and how much you want it. I broke up with my girlfriend to move to Japan, and ultimately I think it was the right decision.

Take some time to think about how you can make a change.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by May-o2q)
      Oh wow thanks! This wakes me up, I'm not sure if I'm just lazy as you said. But I constantly crying and feeling like I'm a very useless person. I don't have a car or anything, so going anywhere without my parents is unrealistic. I live in a country where there is no public transport, so maybe you will never understand. I have a strict curfew, can't go out after 7pm. I have been in the UK for my a levels and undergrads for a total of 5 years, coming back to my home country now and I have no single friend, my childhood friends all have their new friends and we aren't as close anymore. I'm the only child and I basically have no one to talk to about anything. I feel so lost everyday. Yes it's true, it's easy to not doing anything everyday. But not having anything to do, no goals is indeed very hard!
      What do people who dont drive do for getting to and from work? I assume not everyone in your country drives.

While I know it is much easier said than done, you need to find something you want to work towards and maybe that will give you motivation. Maybe write a 5 year plan and then things might be a bit clearer.

It sucks that you dont really know anyone atm but that is temporary and the best way to meet people is to get out there. Look for a job, anything, as that means you'll start interacting with people again and give you the chance to develop friendships as well as give you a reason to get up and get you into a routine. Look at what career you would like to do and try start making steps to achieving it.

I know from experience that when you feel down, have no motivation etc it is super hard to start things but once you start something you will find that the momentum will keep you going. The only person that can change things is you though! Also try to look for solutions to problems you face rather than excuses to why you cant do something (not saying you are doing this but you might be)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by madmadmax321)
      What do people who dont drive do for getting to and from work? I assume not everyone in your country drives.

While I know it is much easier said than done, you need to find something you want to work towards and maybe that will give you motivation. Maybe write a 5 year plan and then things might be a bit clearer.

It sucks that you dont really know anyone atm but that is temporary and the best way to meet people is to get out there. Look for a job, anything, as that means you'll start interacting with people again and give you the chance to develop friendships as well as give you a reason to get up and get you into a routine. Look at what career you would like to do and try start making steps to achieving it.

I know from experience that when you feel down, have no motivation etc it is super hard to start things but once you start something you will find that the momentum will keep you going. The only person that can change things is you though! Also try to look for solutions to problems you face rather than excuses to why you cant do something (not saying you are doing this but you might be)
      They either take taxi or there's something called tok tok, u can search in the google image, I don't know how to explain. But both are unsafe options and my parents aren't agree for me to take these rides. They keep telling me that they will bring me anywhere I want to go. Although, that means I can go anywhere I want but it's not the same you know?! And to some extent, I feel like I bother them so much......

Thank you so much, the 5 years plan sounds great. I should probably start with that. And yes, it's true, I think I have fallen into the trap of not wanting to do anything. I don't know if it's because of me feeling down or just being lazy, I really can't differentiate. But I'm feeling so bad and aggressive everyday. My mood changing is crazy.... idk. Maybe I should stop this ranting. Thanks a lot!
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.