The Student Room Group

What are the minimum requirements to apply for Medicine?

Hello! My name is Marta and I'm from Portugal. I've always wanted to study Medicine in the future and now that time is finally coming, some questions/doubts started emerging. One of my biggest doubts (or perhaps the main one) is about the minimum requirements to apply for the degree. In terms of grades, in my country, we have to have approximately a weighted average of 18 (grade A in the UK) overall. From what I heard and read in a couple of websites, in the UK one of the requirements is exactly to have grade A in subjects such as Chemistry and Biology. The situation here is: is that a general requirement or does it differ from university to university? That worries me quite a lot, because, eventually, I won't finish my three years of secondary school with grade A in Biology. I fill out all the requirements but this one. It would help me a lot if someone could clear this up for me. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by martaesp
Hello! My name is Marta and I'm from Portugal. I've always wanted to study Medicine in the future and now that time is finally coming, some questions/doubts started emerging. One of my biggest doubts (or perhaps the main one) is about the minimum requirements to apply for the degree. In terms of grades, in my country, we have to have approximately a weighted average of 18 (grade A in the UK) overall. From what I heard and read in a couple of websites, in the UK one of the requirements is exactly to have grade A in subjects such as Chemistry and Biology. The situation here is: is that a general requirement or does it differ from university to university? That worries me quite a lot, because, eventually, I won't finish my three years of secondary school with grade A in Biology. I fill out all the requirements but this one. It would help me a lot if someone could clear this up for me. Thanks!

The short answer is it depends on each university.

The long answer is to read this:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
The short answer is it depends on each university.

The long answer is to read this:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Thank you so much!! I did not know about this website :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by martaesp
Thank you so much!! I did not know about this website :smile:

I'm not a medicine expert but you will fundamentally need the equivalent of AAA, some universities require Chemistry or Biology plus 1 other science, some require Chem and Biology. But the AAA is pretty non-negotiable afaik...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending