Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm from the Czech Republic and I'm considering an application for universities in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and maybe Dundee. I have some questions and if anyone could help I'd be really grateful. (if there's is anyone from the Czech Republic who can help I'd be happy to hear about their experience/opinion as well).

1)I wrote an email to Uni of Edinburgh with couple of questions. About my maturita exam (which is the exam you take at the end of your high school studies in my country) they answered this: For entry to any of our programmes, you must have minimum grade 2 in Maths, Biology, Chemistry or Physics at Maturita exam level. I'm considering degrees like politics, international relations or language degrees. The problem is in my country the exam from neither of four subjects listed above is compulsory and I wasn't thinking of taking the exams in these subjects. Now I'm thinking of taking the exam in maths but I don't think I am able to get the results needed for the application, my maths is not that good. Does this mean it would be useless to apply without the maths exam?
    2) Is there anyone who is studying a foreign language and whose mother tongue is not English? Do you think I should try to apply?
    3) Do the universities in Scotland prefer IELTS over CAE? Originally I would do CAE exams but I'm not sure now, maybe IELTS would mean higher chance?

Thanks for your answers
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teb1)
    Hi, I'm from the Czech Republic and I'm considering an application for universities in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and maybe Dundee. I have some questions and if anyone could help I'd be really grateful. (if there's is anyone from the Czech Republic who can help I'd be happy to hear about their experience/opinion as well).

1)I wrote an email to Uni of Edinburgh with couple of questions. About my maturita exam (which is the exam you take at the end of your high school studies in my country) they answered this: For entry to any of our programmes, you must have minimum grade 2 in Maths, Biology, Chemistry or Physics at Maturita exam level. I'm considering degrees like politics, international relations or language degrees. The problem is in my country the exam from neither of four subjects listed above is not compulsory and I wasn't thinking of taking the exams in these subjects. Now I'm thinking of taking the exam in maths but I don't think I am able to get the results needed for the application, my maths is not that good. Does this mean it would be useless to apply without the maths exam?
    2) Is there anyone who is studying a foreign language and whose mother tongue is not English? Do you think I should try to apply?
    3) Do the universities in Scotland prefer IELTS over CAE? Originally I would do CAE exams but I'm not sure now, maybe IELTS would mean higher chance?

Thanks for your answers
    1) I imagine you emailed the wrong faculty or didn't make your preference of course clear in your email - there's nothing here to indicate they'd require STEM subjects for social science or language degrees https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/intern...czech-republic
    I would suggest you try again and email [email protected] to ask specifically about requirements for politics/IR or language degrees
    3) english language requirements aren't ranked - if it's an accepted qualification then it's accepted. They wont decide whether to make you an offer or not based on whether you're taking CAE or IELTS

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Glad to see there are more Czech applicanst! I am also applying this year (Edinburgh, UCL, Warwick, Glasgow, Abredeen). Message me if you need any help! I am sending in my application in a few days so I am free to help.

Back to your questions:
    1) That is really strange, I have never heard about such requirements for politics or international relations... Can you tell me where it is stated?
    2)Absolutely! Go for it.
    3) CAE or IELTS, doesn't matter. As long as you pass, they really don't care. I think IELTS is slightly easier, but CAE is valid for a longer time. I did CAE and it was really okay!

If you need anything let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I already have all of my offers as I went through the process of deferred application last year. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message

(And indeed, I am Czech as well)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your answers
    This is written in the email they've sent me: "for entry to any of our programmes, you must have minimum grade 2 in Maths, Biology, Chemistry or Physics at Maturita exam level. For Language degrees, you would be required to achieve a 1 in a Maturita exam in a language other than your native tongue."

If you take a look here: https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...amme&code=L250 you can see maths listed in the entry requirements section (for people from the UK, but they want the same subjects for everyone). The same for French: https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...amme&code=QR31.

Also, there's this on Glasgow Uni website: https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_245396_en.pdf
    They require two Arts/Humanities subjects for Czech students. I'm going to take Czech, English for sure and then probably French and ZSV (social sciences). Is this combination OK? And where do the languages belong in this list? Arts?

I think I'll have more questions later (or I will contact the people from the Czech Republic), probably during the weekend as I have a lot of studying for tests right now (but I guess it's the same everywhere).

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am also a Czech applicant ^^ I am applying for St Andrews, Warwick, UCL, KLC and Manchester I am in the process of filling the application form. I have a quick question myself. Do you guys have any idea how to fill in the education page? I have my school there with the maturita exam (no marks, of course) and the universities also ask for the GCSE or the equivalent. Is that the 9th year or the 1st year of high school or what?

But back to your question!
    If I were you, I would contact the dean of the faculty itself, not just the Admissions office. I did the same "mistake" with St Andrews and they replied with a link to the Czech Republic's section of the requirements (obviously I've already read that, therefore... useless). The dean should know the answer.
    Actually, I was considering the Edinburgh too, but their requirements for math put me down (I would never ever pass the maths exam )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shyinea)
    Hey, I am also a Czech applicant ^^ I am applying for St Andrews, Warwick, UCL, KLC and Manchester I am in the process of filling the application form. I have a quick question myself. Do you guys have any idea how to fill in the education page? I have my school there with the maturita exam (no marks, of course) and the universities also ask for the GCSE or the equivalent. Is that the 9th year or the 1st year of high school or what?
    Hey! With Edinburgh we would have similar choices For what course are you applying, may I ask?

Well, in the education section, I only filled in the maturita exam (with no grades) and my CAE score If I am not mistaken, the GCSE marks should be provided by the person who gives you the reference. But I might be wrong

ReputationRep:
    Guess what... International Relations And for other universities its politics and/or IR combined with Chinese.

Oh, really? Well, that's news to me. I've emailed the dean of St Andrews about the GCSEs requirements yesterday, so I am waiting for his response. And the reference... that's another story, I have no idea how to present a Czech teacher the idea of writing one page about me and my achievements, because Czech teachers don't have any idea whatsoever about their own students

Maybe we could PM and help each other with the application

ReputationRep:
    I have one quick question about CAE, just want to be sure. For Glasgow Uni they require the score of 185 overall, for Aberdeen, it's 169. This site says that 185 is Grade C, 169 is actually CAE exam but with quite a low result which is equal to FCE level (which I already have): http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exam...anced/results/. I'm quite surprised I expected they would require more than just Grade C. Of course I realize CAE exam is not easy but I just thought they will want more. This is probably stupid question, if it is written there, then it should be true, so just someone assure me please

ReputationRep:
    Guess what... International Relations And for other universities its politics and/or IR combined with Chinese.

Oh, really? Well, that's news to me. I've emailed the dean of St Andrews about the GCSEs requirements yesterday, so I am waiting for his response. And the reference... that's another story, I have no idea how to present a Czech teacher the idea of writing one page about me and my achievements because Czech teachers don't have any idea whatsoever about their own students

Luckily my English teacher is the best teacher ever, I've already asked her and she has agreed to write my reference.We haven't started yet because I'm still not 100% sure which degrees I prefer. Isn't there any language teacher at your school who could write it for you?
    The other thing is I don't have any spectacular achievements to write about and I have no idea what to write in my motivation letter as I don't really like writing about myself, my strong/weak points etc. We can definitely PM, maybe during the weekend, or you can write me just whenever you'll want

ReputationRep:

Oh, really? Well, that's news to me. I've emailed the dean of St Andrews about the GCSEs requirements yesterday, so I am waiting for his response. And the reference... that's another story, I have no idea how to present a Czech teacher the idea of writing one page about me and my achievements, because Czech teachers don't have any idea whatsoever about their own students

Hey, that's amazing! I am applying for Biochemistry, so a little bit of a difference I get you, luckily my teacher has experiences with it so she is super okay with it. However, I would like to send my application as soon as possible, I am only waiting for the reference

Sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teb1)
    Luckily my English teacher is the best teacher ever, I've already asked her and she has agreed to write my reference

My teacher is also amazing! So helpful and kind

It is really strange, that they ask for Maths! It is like they would want me to take history or social sciences to study biochemistry But it is only Edinburgh, right?

I was so stressed about the PS that I started writing it in July/August :afraid: This video helped me so much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY It really made me start and write the first draft (though it differs a lot from the final version )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teb1)
    Luckily my English teacher is the best teacher ever, I've already asked her and she has agreed to write my reference.We haven't started yet because I'm still not 100% sure which degrees I prefer. Isn't there any language teacher at your school who could write it for you?
    The other thing is I don't have any spectacular achievements to write about and I have no idea what to write in my motivation letter as I don't really like writing about myself, my strong/weak points etc. We can definitely PM, maybe during the weekend, or you can write me just whenever you'll want
    Well, the reference thing should be somehow solved, but I would have to ask my English teacher to provide the translation of the reference and tell my history teacher what to actually write about... well, it's nothing serious, I'll eventually find a way

And about the personal statement... Ask your literature teacher about it, watch some videos and look for advice, it's everywhere! And if you don't know about your strengths/weaknesses, just ask someone who knows you well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vagabondgirl)
    Hey, that's amazing! I am applying for Biochemistry, so a little bit of a difference I get you, luckily my teacher has experiences with it so she is super okay with it. However, I would like to send my application as soon as possible, I am only waiting for the reference

Sure!
    God, that's a big difference! But I think it isn't necessary to send your application early, because many universities just wait for the end of January. But I know what you mean, I would also like to have everything done

Hey, I saw the video too! The lady is amazing!

ReputationRep:
    God, that's a big difference! But I think it isn't necessary to send your application early, because many universities just wait until the end of January. But I know what you mean, I would also like to have everything done

Hey, I saw the video too! The lady is amazing!
    It isn't necessary but the thing is the sooner you send it the sooner they will let you know about their decision. Lots of people already have offers because of that. And also if you send it around Christmas time, unis are usually closed so they will let you know in like January/February :/ And the waiting is going to be so stressful!

Haha, it is nice to have someone to talk about it, as none of my classmates plan to apply to UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vagabondgirl)
    It isn't necessary but the thing is the sooner you send it the sooner they will let you know about their decision. Lots of people already have offers because of that. And also if you send it around Christmas time, unis are usually closed so they will let you know in like January/February :/ And the waiting is going to be so stressful!

Haha, it is nice to have someone to talk about it, as none of my classmates plan to apply to UK
    I PM'd you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.