The Student Room Group

Accommodation with a non-student

Me and my boyfriend were thinking about moving in together while I'm at uni. I am aware of something things like not being able to stay in halls, but not completely sure of everything...

Could anyone who has done this or know someone who has done this give me the rundown of what I need to know/ what I should expect.

Also, will they charge for both of us as although it's two people but we will take up the same space?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sam Davis
Me and my boyfriend were thinking about moving in together while I'm at uni. I am aware of something things like not being able to stay in halls, but not completely sure of everything...

Could anyone who has done this or know someone who has done this give me the rundown of what I need to know/ what I should expect.

Also, will they charge for both of us as although it's two people but we will take up the same space?

Moved to University life
This depends on whether you rent a flat or just a room in a shared house with other (single) tenants.

In a shared house, it will cost more for you as a couple than it would for a single person but not as two seprate single people. Landlords charge couples a bit more as even though they are together and sharing the same room, they still take up space in bathrooms in the morning and the kitchen. So if the rent if £500 per month for a single person, the couple will probably be paying £600-750. Two people just use more resources than single people and are riskier to rent to for various reasons. Most landlords will only allow one couple in a shared house.

If you get a flat, then usually you’ll pay the same as a single person would even though you are a couple, but this will be more than a room in a shared house for obvious reasons.

I’ve done both in my life, and if you live in a shared house, you REALLY have to like the people you’re sharing with or personality clashes can be common and extreme.
Reply 3
You'll also need to consider council tax. Students are exempt from council tax, so if the only people living in the property are students then no council tax is due. But if one person isn't a student, council tax is due - although there would be a 25% reduction if only one person is liable. But since council tax is based on estimated property value (from 1991), a larger house will have a much larger council tax bill. So if you're sharing a house with a lot of other students it will be a big house, and so even with the discount council tax will be a lot.
Yeah as said above, council tax will be a bit of a nightmare. You should contact your uni before you go as they will be able to give you a run down about how it will work.

I disagree with Jimmyjam1972, it's unlikely to cost more if you're staying in the same room. There may be some landlords who will charge you extra but I think it's unlikely. If you're in shared accommodation it's much more likely that you'll just be asked to share the bills by number of people rather than number of rooms, that will be the only extra expense regarding housing costs. If it does cost more you might as well just get a studio/1 bed where you'll have a bit more space and it will just be for you, and it will cost a similar amount.

You should also be weary of moving in with your boyfriend for first year. A lot of people, dare I say the large majority, break up with their partner they've had since before uni during first year. It also means you're likely to default on them for friendships, when everyone else will be in the situation of making friends with absolutely everyone, part of the uni experience.

Quick Reply

Latest