Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2017/2018 Road to A*A*A*A and Oxford pls Watch

ReputationRep:

:bl:WELCOME TO MY GYG :bl:
    :nyan:

Hellooo thank you for clicking onto this page
    I'm really late hopping onto the bandwagon but I've been addicted to reading these things lately and decided it would be fun sharing my last few months of school with you all! (That sounds really scary omg I'm too young to be a responsible university student help)

:banana:
    Introduction
    Here's a few things about me!
    I am a huge procrastinator
    Because I'm a huge procrastinator I'm a night owl and hate getting up in the mornings (typical wake up time on the weekend is 11am - I know, terrible right?)
    I love food
    I play the piano
    I dance 3 times a week (probably terribly)
    Kind of obsessed with pokemon :pika::charm:
    Did I mention I love to procrastinate?
    I stress about everything it's unreal
    Most importantly, I've applied to study Maths, and would love to go to Oxford (but I know inside I'm gonna flunk the MAT) EDIT: I can confirm, I have flunked the MAT :'

GCSEs
    Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics - A*
    Further Mathematics - A* (still have no idea how close I was to the A^ D: )
    English Literature - A*
    English Language - A*
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    German - A*
    Latin - A*
    History - A*
    Fine Art - A*
    Music - A*
    Religious Education - A (yup good ol' RE spoiling my results - although to be fair I was getting Cs and Ds throughout the year so I'm grateful I got this in the end :'D)

My Year 12 Story
    Spoiler:
    Show

Okay so here's a long story about my sixth form experience so far! At the beginning of Year 12 I didn't really know what I wanted to do but I knew it was something arty, so I didn't really care what A Levels I did, as long as I did Fine Art and I enjoyed the others. So I decided to take Maths, Physics, Art and Music. And thennnn it came to around Jan/Feb time when I realised Maths was what I wanted to do at uni, but at the time I thought it was too late to change so just decided to go with it. It was only until March/April that I took my subject choices more seriously so I told my dad and he said that if I wanted to do Maths then I should at least do Further Maths AS. So, I emailed the head of sixth explaining my situation and she recommended that I drop Art and take on Further Maths AS. However I decided to make my life 10x more harder by saying I'd carry on Art until the summer along with Further Maths AS to see how things go! Soooo for half of the summer term, I got by with one free per week, trying to juggle all 5 subject classes. Needless to say it was pretty ridiculous! It then came summer when I realised I should really be taking the full Further Maths A Level if I want to apply to Oxford, so I decided to teach myself the whole of C3, C4 and S1 (just as you do -_-) so that I could join the full Further Maths class (they do the whole of A Level Maths in Year 12, and then the whole of Further Maths A Level in Year 13). It came to results day, and the head of sixth and the head of maths said that I could take the full Further Maths A Level, but I'd have to drop Art completely, which I agreed to, and they said they'd test me on C3, C4 and S1 the day before we officially got back to school! And so I did that, and let's just say that I definitely need to work on it... (C3 was fine, but C4 and S1 were... meh) Pretty scared - gonna be having 9 maths exams in June which I have to ace in order to get A*s in both on first go!

AS Level Results
    Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics (C1, C2, M1) - A

A Level Predictions
    Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics - A*
    Further Mathematics - A*
    Physics - A*
    Music - A
    (In my opinion I'm more likely to get an A* in Music than Physics but whatever xD)

UCAS Track
    Spoiler:
    Show

Application submitted: 9/10/17

Oxford - Mathematics (G100) - Somerville College
    -10/10/17 Acknowledgement

St. Andrews - Mathematics (G101)

Durham - Mathematics (G100) - St. John's College

Warwick - Mathematics (G100)
    -25/10/17 Conditional Offer: A*A*AA or A*A*A* with A*A* being in Maths and Further Maths (hoping I may get reduced offer of A*A*A after taking the MAT/TMUA)

Surrey - Mathematics (G101)
    -10/10/17 Conditional Offer: AAB

Dates To Remember
    Spoiler:
    Show

Key: Bold = Definitely Normal = Nice to know

Grade 8 Piano Exam - Wednesday 22 November 2017

TMUA Results - Wednesday 29 November 2017

Oxford Interview Email - Monday 4 December 2017

Oxford Maths Interviews - Sunday 10 - Wednesday 13 December 2017

Mock Exams - January/February 2018

A Level Results Day - 16 August 2018

Tags
    Spoiler:
    Show

Tagging a couple of people whose GYGs I've enjoyed reading recently! Feel free to tell me if you'd like to be added/removed from this list! EmilySarah00 furryface12 Lemur14 sinfonietta Protostar Sonechka AmeliaLost Anon_98 agaaga1010 gw07mcgheerachel

Will update this more later but here is everything I can think of at the moment

Thank you so much for reading if you got this far, have a cookie :cookie: Feel free to ask me any questions you have or any advice you have for any of the subjects I'm taking! Also tell me if you're doing any of the same subjects or are applying to any of the same universities for the same course, I'd love to know!
    I hope you can help me get through this journey - it'll be interesting to see what happens :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsemusicsucks)

I'm really late hopping onto the bandwagon but I've been addicted to reading these things lately and decided it would be fun sharing my last few months of school with you all! (That sounds really scary omg I'm too young to be a responsible university student help)

Introduction
    I love food
    I play the piano
    Kind of obsessed with pokemon

GCSEs
    Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics - A*
    Further Mathematics - A* (still have no idea how close I was to the A^ D
    English Literature - A*
    English Language - A*
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    German - A*
    Latin - A*
    History - A*
    Fine Art - A*
    Music - A*
    Religious Education - A (yup good ol' RE spoiling my results - although to be fair I was getting Cs and Ds throughout the year so I'm grateful I got this in the end :'D)

My Year 12 Story
    Spoiler:
    Show

Okay so here's a long story about my sixth form experience so far! At the beginning of Year 12 I didn't really know what I wanted to do but I knew it was something arty, so I didn't really care what A Levels I did, as long as I did Fine Art and I enjoyed the others. So I decided to take Maths, Physics, Art and Music. And thennnn it came to around Jan/Feb time when I realised Maths was what I wanted to do at uni, but at the time I thought it was too late to change so just decided to go with it. It was only until March/April that I took my subject choices more seriously so I told my dad and he said that if I wanted to do Maths then I should at least do Further Maths AS. So, I emailed the head of sixth explaining my situation and she recommended that I drop Art and take on Further Maths AS. However I decided to make my life 10x more harder by saying I'd carry on Art until the summer along with Further Maths AS to see how things go! Soooo for half of the summer term, I got by with one free per week, trying to juggle all 5 subject classes. Needless to say it was pretty ridiculous! It then came summer when I realised I should really be taking the full Further Maths A Level if I want to apply to Oxford, so I decided to teach myself the whole of C3, C4 and S1 (just as you do -_-) so that I could join the full Further Maths class (they do the whole of A Level Maths in Year 12, and then the whole of Further Maths A Level in Year 13). It came to results day, and the head of sixth and the head of maths said that I could take the full Further Maths A Level, but I'd have to drop Art completely, which I agreed to, and they said they'd test me on C3, C4 and S1 the day before we officially got back to school! And so I did that, and let's just say that I definitely need to work on it... (C3 was fine, but C4 and S1 were... meh) Pretty scared - gonna be having 9 maths exams in June which I have to ace in order to get A*s in both on first go!

AS Level Results
    Spoiler:
    Show

A Level Predictions
    Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics - A*
    Further Mathematics - A*
    Physics - A*
    Music - A
    (In my opinion I'm more likely to get an A* in Music than Physics but whatever xD)

UCAS Track
    Spoiler:
    Show

-25/10/17 Conditional Offer: A*A*AA or A*A*A* with A*A* being in Maths and Further Maths (hoping I may get reduced offer of A*A*A after taking the MAT/TMUA)

Thank you so much for reading if you got this far, have a cookie Feel free to ask me any questions you have or any advice you have for any of the subjects I'm taking! Also tell me if you're doing any of the same subjects or are applying to any of the same universities for the same course, I'd love to know!
    I hope you can help me get through this journey - it'll be interesting to see what happens

Congrats on your results mate! . Just one question.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Did your referee upload any internal school grades onto UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
    Congrats on your results mate! . Just one question.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Did your referee upload any internal school grades onto UCAS?

Thank you! No I don't think so, all they submitted were my predicted grades, and mentioned a AS Maths UMS exam mark in my reference

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! No I don't think so, all they submitted were my predicted grades, and mentioned a AS Maths UMS exam mark in my reference
    Ohh ok. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
    Ohh ok. Cheers
    No problem!

ReputationRep:

Introduction
    I love food
    I play the piano
    Kind of obsessed with pokemon

GCSEs
    Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics - A*
    Further Mathematics - A* (still have no idea how close I was to the A^ D
    English Literature - A*
    English Language - A*
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    German - A*
    Latin - A*
    History - A*
    Fine Art - A*
    Music - A*

My Year 12 Story
    Spoiler:
    Show

AS Level Results
    Spoiler:
    Show

A Level Predictions
    Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics - A*
    Further Mathematics - A*
    Physics - A*
    Music - A

UCAS Track
    Spoiler:
    Show

Thank you so much for reading if you got this far, have a cookie Feel free to ask me any questions you have or any advice you have for any of the subjects I'm taking! Also tell me if you're doing any of the same subjects or are applying to any of the same universities for the same course, I'd love to know!
    I hope you can help me get through this journey - it'll be interesting to see what happens

Screaming at your GCSE results! Ah well done my friend :grin:

I'll be in it to watch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    Screaming at your GCSE results! Ah well done my friend :grin:

I'll be in it to watch!
    Thank youuu! Scared that's the only part of my UCAS application that's actually decent

ReputationRep:
    Thank youuu! Scared that's the only part of my UCAS application that's actually decent
    I highly highly doubt that!

ReputationRep:
    Why do you remind me of one of those people at school that pretend as if they don't study and hang out with you and then by the end of the term. As As As

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyimane)
    Why do you remind me of one of those people at school that pretend as if they don't study and hang out with you and then by the end of the term. As As As
    Don't worry I'm happy to admit that right now I have zilch social life, and I've spent basically most of half term attempting maths questions and then failing, and then looking them up on the mark scheme and not understanding anything -_- I wish A Levels were like GCSEs but they're far from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    I highly highly doubt that!
    I wish that was the case :') You're too kind

ReputationRep:
    The mistake I made was not realizing the difference fast enough. I aced my Cambridge O Levels too, made me overconfident... Then when my A Level results came out, I was humbled with Cs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyimane)
    The mistake I made was not realizing the difference fast enough. I aced my Cambridge O Levels too, made me overconfident... Then when my A Level results came out, I was humbled with Cs.
    Ahh at least you passed, congrats! Terrified I'm going to absolutely ruin my exams in June >.<

ReputationRep:
    30 October 2017
    Didn't really do much after school today - was planning on doing some MAT prep but unfortunately did not get round to it I had ballet for an hour and a half, and then had an online follow up session from a MAT prep course so I guess that was good enough? xD I also got given quite a fair amount of homework today, and got told I've got a bunch of tests coming up (not so fun) so there's even more to add to my plate! Still got papers 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 to go and 3 days to do them - I regret starting MAT prep so late argh! Gonna try and catch up on some sleep tonight because last night I panicked and went to bed at 3am -_- By lunch I could not keep my eyes open!

Work Log
    Frees: Had a full day today
    After School: Nothing

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god you're amazing well done and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
    Oh my god you're amazing well done and good luck!
    thank you so much! ahhh I'll definitely need it 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    good luck
    thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    31 October 2017
    Planned on doing 2013 and 2014 but only managed to do a bit of the 2013 during one of my frees, and literally did nothing after school before heading off to ballet! Was aching and exhausted by the end of it so only managed to finish the 2013 paper after having some dinner. I marked it before heading off to sleep - got a measly and mortifying 35/100!!! It was so demoralising that I just had no motivation to do anything else...

Work Log
    Frees: Tried getting some of the 2013 paper done during a free
    After School: Finished the 2013 paper and marked it

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much! ahhh I'll definitely need it 😂
    😂I'm sure you'll do great, mind checking my blog out? X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.