The Student Room Group

Mature student personal statement questions

So for the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to create my personal statement but as a mature student (21, will be 22 if I start next year) I'm kind of stumped as to what to write. The main reason I didn't start Uni as soon as I finished Sixth Form was I simply didn't feel ready for it, I didn't feel as though I would have been able to give it my all. I don't have much work experience that I can write about (3 months proper work experience but I have been earning money by doing a job during these 3 years I haven't been in education, it's just not really a job that they'd be interested in me writing about, basically I got paid to play games).

The subject I wish to take is Computer Science but I don't know how to express my interest in it without sounding really forced and fake. I've read a lot of the personal statements on this website and a lot of them sound really forced to me. I have got some knowledge on Computer Science already, but not enough to create a project as proof of my interest in just a few months, I've basically only completed the courses on codecademy but doing so I've realised how interesting the subject is and it's what has made me want to take it as a Uni course and prospective career.

So basically my question is, does anyone have any advice on what I should write on my personal statement without having any long-term work experience that I can write about?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Original post by leeboy262
So for the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to create my personal statement but as a mature student (21, will be 22 if I start next year) I'm kind of stumped as to what to write. The main reason I didn't start Uni as soon as I finished Sixth Form was I simply didn't feel ready for it, I didn't feel as though I would have been able to give it my all. I don't have much work experience that I can write about (3 months proper work experience but I have been earning money by doing a job during these 3 years I haven't been in education, it's just not really a job that they'd be interested in me writing about, basically I got paid to play games).

The subject I wish to take is Computer Science but I don't know how to express my interest in it without sounding really forced and fake. I've read a lot of the personal statements on this website and a lot of them sound really forced to me. I have got some knowledge on Computer Science already, but not enough to create a project as proof of my interest in just a few months, I've basically only completed the courses on codecademy but doing so I've realised how interesting the subject is and it's what has made me want to take it as a Uni course and prospective career.

So basically my question is, does anyone have any advice on what I should write on my personal statement without having any long-term work experience that I can write about?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

You don't need work experience or a project. You've already said that doing a course made you realise the subject was interesting so talk about what it was that made you realise that and why and what you found interesting or challenging and what you're looking forward to learning more about at uni. Have a look at course structures and read around the topics that will be taught. Try our builder tool below :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending