The Student Room Group

Should i drop literature?

I am a year 11 student in top set English and I hate English literature. I'm not sure if dropping it is the right thing to do.... I'm not planning to take it to university or beyond that. I know I am not gonna get higher than a C, so is it really worth it.Any advice?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Manarrrr
I am a year 11 student in top set English and I hate English literature. I'm not sure if dropping it is the right thing to do.... I'm not planning to take it to university or beyond that. I know I am not gonna get higher than a C, so is it really worth it.Any advice?

Will they let you drop it? GCSE Lang and Lit were compulsory for us, and I sat my GCSEs just a year and a half ago.
Personally, I prefer literature and I put far, far more work into literature than language and ended up getting the same grade. So I would argue that if your quite good at english language is less work. As long as you're not closing any doors for unis or 6th forms I would drop it if I was you, but definitely research it.
Reply 3
If you don’t take English Lit, I’ve heard that universities will assume that it was because you could not pass it, and hence that might affect your uni admissions in similar ways to not having maths and English Lang (although not to the same extremities) since English Lit is pretty much compulsory in all schools
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest