Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 21 now turning 22 february next year and in my 2nd year of studying business management at uni. I feel like I am old already because of my age (i didn't do well in A levels so I did a level 3 extended diploma btec which took another 2 years when I was 18). I kind of regret choosing this degree because I don't really have any ambition or experience in this field and I feel like I would enjoy being a paramedic instead as a career choice. However I have already wasted so much time I am not sure if it is the best choice or if it is even possible. The paramedic science courses will take up another 3 years of my life so i will be in my mid twenties when I finish it so i won't have much money by that age... Any advise?

ReputationRep:
    First thing I would suggest doing thorough research, maybe you could go for another route. One that may take less time if you’re worried about your age. I myself am starting my first year next year, I’m 21 turning 22 in August. Lool I kept changing my mind after doing my a levels and wasn’t content with anything. Now I know I want to study physics, I guess I’m a little too old as well but I’m motivated and very passionate.

If you’ve spent enough time considering all your options out there I would say come up with a plan, like a step by step detailed plan and don’t look back. Although nothing goes to plan maybe like a guide, but a really structured outline. Consider things like found, qualifications, any responsibilities you may have etc.

However, if you’re just starting to explore this passion allow yourself some time to think it through and finish your degree.

I’m sure some NHS courses are funded you’ll be able to get some sort of funding for your paramedic degree. Look into it, so I say you have a lot more time to think about it. This is a massive decision, you need to be sure you won’t regret it. Lol this is coming from an indecisive person who’s applied for 3 different degrees but didn’t end up going to the first day loooool
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I started my paramedic degree this year, aged 23 and there's people on my course aged over 30, so no. You're never too old!!

ReputationRep:
    To make you feel better, I'm 34, have worked in finance for 11 yrs, having obtained a BA and MSc in Finance, and am currently studying to try and go back to uni to study medicine... which is significantly longer than a 3yr degree. So no - 21/22 is totally NOT late. There is no such thing anyway. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkareKrow)
    I am 21 now turning 22 february next year and in my 2nd year of studying business management at uni. I feel like I am old already because of my age (i didn't do well in A levels so I did a level 3 extended diploma btec which took another 2 years when I was 18). I kind of regret choosing this degree because I don't really have any ambition or experience in this field and I feel like I would enjoy being a paramedic instead as a career choice. However I have already wasted so much time I am not sure if it is the best choice or if it is even possible. The paramedic science courses will take up another 3 years of my life so i will be in my mid twenties when I finish it so i won't have much money by that age... Any advise?
    Lots (probably even a majority) of paramedics are not in the job as their first career. There will be lots of people on the course who are in their late 20s and 30s. It's not something you need to worry about as this is very normal for paramedic students.

If it's the career you definitely want, then you need to weigh up the pros and cons. Obviously an extra 3 years in education and the financial side of this is important. It may well be the case that you would be better off gaining some experience and working for a year or two to give yourself a bit more financial stability. You need to do some sums and work out whether this is something you want to do now, and whether you can afford to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there (just my 2 bits; I have similar thoughts myself),
    First up, from what I've seen, it's never too late to retrain. (I was the youngest on my postgrad MSc in pharmaceutical sciences last year and I'm now 23).
    A lot of folk I know are student paras; most of whom are mid 20s, one of my mates just turned 30 and just registered with the HCPC. Bad news; it looks like the funding for para courses has dried up and it'll be funding yourself through 3 years at uni (HCPC insists now on registered paras having a 3 year BSc degree). So I'd honestly think HARD about a trade change. Make sure it's something you can make a career out of rather than just a job.
    Read into the role and where it can go. College of Paramedics website is really useful in that respect. Also I'd say try getting into BRC/St John's for a bit of work experience in the field of pre-hospital healthcare. As well as the experience, you may well get the chance to chat to current paramedics/student paras/People who have made careers out of paramedic practice, who will know about what's happening in the profession (really, really useful info). Your current scenario; You have to be honest with yourself as to what you want. I though Pharmaceutical Research would be awesome; now considering other options. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    No your not too old!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I’m wanting to become a paramedic too and already have done a degree. Unfortunately can not get any funding because of this. Definitely work out your options and get some work experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.