Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Some of them did, yes. If you really think equality if a concept that only dates back to the 1960s, then I advise you to take a closer look at a famous French Revolutionary motto. Those which are younger mostly date to noticeably after the 1960s - the phrase "hate crime", for example, originated in the 1980s.
    I can't remember who it was but when some historian was asked what he thought the legacy of the French Revolution was he replied "it's too early to tell".

Most politics since then and up to the present day has been a reaction to the ideal of Liberté, égalité, fraternité.

Airplanebee2

ReputationRep:
    No, they're acting like people who have seen similar or identical conspiracy theorist nonsense posted on this forum every couple of weeks for months or even years. Because that's what they are.
    1. I completely agree that these concept come from a while back and certain implementation were after the 1960s. What I am referring to is a political tactic around the 1960s where these concepts were weaponised in a way to attack certain people and further a specific political agenda. You can’t really deny that these groups like the 60s French student, radicals, the Frankfurt School, “hippies” etc. didn’t exist. You deny their influence on the present.

Then I ask you, has there ever been such radical social change at any time in human history than the 50 years after these groups made their statements?

2. For the second point all you need to say is correlation is not causation. Let’s talk smart. No its not but there are many many factors that link the two things including time, and the actual people involved like Obama and the Clintons, and the politicisation of he same ideas. It’s hardly an amazing coincidence is it?

3. Oh conspiracy theory - yes when people jump to some prejudices about an idea and use these words to shut it down.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Even if I grant this as true, this would be a fallacy of affirming the consequent. "X is happening" does not prove "X is happening because of some conspiratorial school of academic sociology infiltrating everything."

No, they're acting like people who have seen similar or identical conspiracy theorist nonsense posted on this forum every couple of weeks for months or even years. Because that's what they are.
    These two things. OP simply refuses to accept them and just keeps regurgitating the same thing sometimes with the same words sometimes with different ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airplanebee2)
    I completely agree that these concept come from a while back and certain implementation were after the 1960s. What I am referring to is a political tactic around the 1960s where these concepts were weaponised in a way to attack certain people and further a specific political agenda. You can’t really deny that these groups like the 60s French student, radicals, the Frankfurt School, “hippies” etc. didn’t exist. You deny their influence on the present.

Then I ask you, has there ever been such radical social change at any time in human history than the 50 years after these groups made their statements?
    Has there ever been such texhnological progress as in the last 50 years? Have we ever been so connected and allowed people to unite and fight things as in the last 50 years? Or even 10-20 years.

And actually yes, the societal change during reformation led to multiple wars over centuries. All because someone posted some thoughts on a church door. I'd say that's a vastly more radical change than now.

The effects of industrialization had a vastly more radical impact on society, too.

And as was said now not just by me above, just because these thoughts somewhat roughly coincide with society changing does in no way shape or form imply they are causing it. And that is why you are nothing but a conspiracy theory, you're attributing something to something else claiming to be on e of the select few that realize it. That's a conspiracy theory.

ReputationRep:

Yes, several. The 50 years after Luther nailed his theses to the door. The 50 years after Gavrilo Princip shot Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo. The 50 years after Columbus landed in the new world. The 50 years after a crowd of Parisians stormed the Bastille. The 50 years after Constantine won at the Milvian Bridge. The 50 years after the Arab victories at Yarmouk and al-Qadisiyya. I could go on.

ReputationRep:
    The 50 years after the Arab victories at Yarmouk and al-Qadisiyya. I could go on.
    too soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    too soon
    Haha. I can remember when I first learnt 7th Century history being really disappointed that Heraclius and Khosrau fought basically the most epic war of all time only for the Arabs to render it all irrelevant within a decade....

ReputationRep:
    Haha. I can remember when I first learnt 7th Century history being really disappointed that Heraclius and Khosrau fought basically the most epic war of all time only for the Arabs to render it all irrelevant within a decade....
    They weakened each other over decades then allied as they both found themselves under a greater threat, then both suffered great losses which changed the course of history

a truly tragic tale

The Mongol Empire's sudden halt in Europe is another historical gem, do you know much about it?

ReputationRep:
    They weakened each other over decades then allied as they both found themselves under a greater threat, then both suffered great losses which changed the course of history

a truly tragic tale

The Mongol Empire's sudden halt in Europe is another historical gem, do you know much about it?
    You know what, for the purposes of identifying the conditions, it really doesn’t matter where this equality culture originated.

All that matters is that it is there. The theory of how it operates and liberal illogic is still the same
    No matter where we say it originated e.g. white people can be racist but black people cant be racist.

ReputationRep:
    You know what, for the purposes of identifying the conditions, it really doesn’t matter where this equality culture originated.

All that matters is that it is there. The theory of how it operates and liberal illogic is still the same
    No matter where we say it originated e.g. white people can be racist but black people cant be racist.
    what does this have to do with the fall of the Sasanian Empire or the Mongols? :bird:

ReputationRep:

a truly tragic tale

Can't say I do, please go on. Though would I be right in guessing the Black Death played a part?

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I do, please go on. Though would I be right in guessing the Black Death played a part?
    I think there is an interesting argument about the Mongol's 'biological warfare' tactics contributing to the spread of the Black Death, but I don't think I've seen that posited as a reason for their retreat from Europe.

I find it interesting because it marked the first substantial failure of the Mongols who had previously ravaged large parts of Asia (and at their peak had the second largest empire in history), and then replicated this success in East/South Europe in 13C. For reasons not clear today, their conquest suddenly halted and they withdrew from Europe. The most commonly cited reason for this is some strange ritual whereby the Great Khan had died of a heart-attack, so the Mongols had to return to Mongolia to elect their next leader, then were never able to repeat their successes in 14C, but this is contentious.

It's fascinating because it shows how close (Western) Europe potentially came to having an entirely different history. The more you study it the less likely it seems that the Mongols could have conquered Western Europe, but the events are fascinating nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Would you seriously expect to keep your job if you got busted doing this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41794625
    I hear worse banter every day than that at work, literally every day. Common jokes like “show me on the doll where he touched you”. That’s what normal people do. Oooooooo how terrible.

In Canada recently at a university someone put up a bunch of posters the said “it’s ok to be white”. The university called the police and claimed it’s a racist incident.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2017/10/31/pro-white-message-taped-to-native-studies-building-day-after-racist-pumpkin-incident.html

And only a day after the racist pumpkin incident. Ooooooooo Go figure that one out.

Thant it’s completely sick behaviours cloaking that it’s not ok to be ok to be white. Sick brainwashed people. It’s the brainwashed PC people that need therapy. They literally like brainwashed zombies.

ReputationRep:
    I hear worse banter every day than that at work, literally every day. Common jokes like “show me on the doll where he touched you”. That’s what normal people do. Oooooooo how terrible.

In Canada recently at a university someone put up a bunch of posters the said “it’s ok to be white”. The university called the police and claimed it’s a racist incident.

Thant it’s completely sick behaviours cloaking that it’s not ok to be ok to be white. Sick brainwashed people. It’s the brainwashed PC people that need therapy. They literally like brainwashed zombies.
    What he said depends on the context, it could be banter or creepy as ****. I meant sending your (taxpayer funded) secretary to buy sex toys.

ReputationRep:
    What he said depends on the context, it could be banter or creepy as ****. I meant sending your (taxpayer funded) secretary to buy sex toys.
    Well there is a trend in my workplace to say the most inflammatory and creepy things especially to people including the (shatter like glass supposedly) women and people just find it funny like “I’d offer it if you were 19 and had a twin sister and were both lesbians”. No one is phased.

oooooooooooo how awful

How about making some “it’s OK to be white t-shirts” - would to be arrested for a hate crime?

ReputationRep:
    Well there is a trend in my workplace to say the most inflammatory and creepy things especially to people including the (shatter like glass supposedly) women and people just find it funny

oooooooooooo how awful
    Like I said, I meant the secretary who's paid via everyone's tax-dollars running errands for his "hobbies".

It seems like you're trawling world news to feed your own victim complex tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, I meant the secretary who's paid via everyone's tax-dollars running errands for his "hobbies".

It seems like you're trawling world news to feed your own victim complex tbh.
    It’s maybe a little bit embarrassing but really not the end of the world. If she wasn’t comfortable with that she could have just told him that she doesn’t want to get involved. It doesn’t need to be the deal of the century.

I have a victim complex. How dare I be offended at the suggestion that I can’t be happy to be white. One is either brainwashed on has a victim complex nothing else! 🐣

ReputationRep:
    It’s maybe a little bit embarrassing but really not the end of the world. If she wasn’t comfortable with that she could have just told him that she doesn’t want to get involved. It doesn’t need to be the deal of the century.

I have a victim complex. How dare I be offended at the suggestion that I can’t be happy to be white. On is either brainwashed on has a victim complex nothing else! 🐣

Come again?

ReputationRep:
    Come again?
    Well what you are saying if that one has to behave like these nutty people who call the police over a posted that says “it’s OK to white”.

If you don’t behave like those nutty people and call it out for being nutty then you must have a victim complex - you and several other people have implied.

ReputationRep:
    Well what you are saying if that one has to behave like these nutty people who call the police over a posted that says “it’s OK to white”.

If you don’t behave like those nutty people and call it out for being nutty then you must have a victim complex - you and several other people have implied.
    Calling the police is pathetic, equally as pathetic is the idiot who put the sign there in the first place(bearing in mind the historical background re the First Nations and their suffering at the hands of Europeans it's an obvious attempt at provocation).

And yes this obsession with obscure events is a victim complex. You sound like an upper-middle class feminist who's convinced themselves they're oppressed and are desperately trying to convince others.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.