Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to Cambridge to study Maths as an international student. I was at a british school till year 11 where i did my GCSEs with A* with distinction (FM), A*AAAABCC. However after that I was moved into an international school to grade 11 (equivalent to year 12) where i was not allowed to do any AS subjects other than Maths. So I decided to do my STEP 1,2,3 that year to makeup for that and I got 1, 2,2 where the 2s were both 3 and 4 marks off a 1 respectively. Now I am doing A level Physics, Chem, and FM all in one year and my A2 for Maths with predictions of A*s for all except Chem which is an A. Will Cambridge consider me at least, i have explained my situation on the COPA.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziadff1)
    I am applying to Cambridge to study Maths as an international student. I was at a british school till year 11 where i did my GCSEs with A* with distinction (FM), A*AAAABCC. However after that I was moved into an international school to grade 11 (equivalent to year 12) where i was not allowed to do any AS subjects other than Maths. So I decided to do my STEP 1,2,3 that year to makeup for that and I got 1, 2,2 where the 2s were both 3 and 4 marks off a 1 respectively. Now I am doing A level Physics, Chem, and FM all in one year and my A2 for Maths with predictions of A*s for all except Chem which is an A. Will Cambridge consider me at least, i have explained my situation on the COPA.
    If you have applied you will be finding out officially pretty soon, so there's not much point double-guessing what the DoS/AT will think.

That said, I expect you will get called for interview. 1,2,2 in STEP is pretty good without having done FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If you have applied you will be finding out officially pretty soon, so there's not much point double-guessing what the DoS/AT will think.

That said, I expect you will get called for interview. 1,2,2 in STEP is pretty good without having done FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just got rejected without an interview I guess it did matter quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Damn sorry to hear that, I guess they didnt like your personal statement or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    Damn sorry to hear that, I guess they didnt like your personal statement or something?
    Actually everybody who read my personal statement said it was extremely good. In fact my friend from another school showed his counselor and they used mine as a good example :/

ReputationRep:
    Ya man that sucks, I have a friend who got rejected from Harvard even though he had top grades and got 36 on his ACT and 800 on all three of his sats because "he is not the type of pesson the school is looking for".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    Ya man that sucks, I have a friend who got rejected from Harvard even though he had top grades and got 36 on his ACT and 800 on all three of his sats because "he is not the type of pesson the school is looking for".
    The thing with the Ivy-League universities, and American universities is generally, is that they place a much greater emphasis on character and extra-curricular activities than British universities. Cambridge like to see a well-rounded person, but, by their own admission, those factors will not influence their decision regarding an applicant: only academics will do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBasedChris)
    The thing with the Ivy-League universities, and American universities is generally, is that they place a much greater emphasis on character and extra-curricular activities than British universities. Cambridge like to see a well-rounded person, but, by their own admission, those factors will not influence their decision regarding an applicant: only academics will do that.
    Cambridge doesn’t care if you’re a well-rounded person or not. They’re only interested in your academic ability and potential.

OP, really sorry for the outcome.
    Best wishes for your success with other universities you applied to.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. Which college was this?

And would you consider re-applying after you have completed your A-levels?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Oh dear. Which college was this?

And would you consider re-applying after you have completed your A-levels?
    It was trinity, which is probably why to be honest. I don't know, can i reapply even if i am at a different university. I would like to avoid doing a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    It was trinity, which is probably why to be honest. I don't know, can i reapply even if i am at a different university. I would like to avoid doing a gap year.
    If you’re at university outside UK, yes, they’d usually accept your application.
    But they don’t, if you’re enrolled at another uk university as they don’t won’t to be seen poaching good students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.