Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Deciding whether to leave my SCITT/teacher training Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and I've completed the first 7 weeks of my SCITT and I am now deciding whether to leave or go back.

I've always loved teaching, but since I have started the SCITT I haven't enjoyed it. The paper and academic side of the SCITT does not bother me it's the teaching side. I feel so uncomfortable and unfortunately my mental health isn't helping this situation.

My previous teaching experience is in TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language), and I've been offered a place at university to study my MA in TESOL if I choose to leave the SCITT.

Although I feel that it is better for me to leave the SCITT and do the MA and return when I am ready, I can't help feeling that it's the 'wrong' decision. This has been eating away at me for weeks now, and I really just want to get my things in order so I can start to focus on them more and be happier.

The other trainees, and teachers are lovely on my SCITT I just have never felt more out of my depth, so much so that the more I have done the SCITT the more I have felt this way. I really wish there was a way of making it work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jrc1995)
    I'm 22 and I've completed the first 7 weeks of my SCITT and I am now deciding whether to leave or go back.

I've always loved teaching, but since I have started the SCITT I haven't enjoyed it. The paper and academic side of the SCITT does not bother me it's the teaching side. I feel so uncomfortable and unfortunately my mental health isn't helping this situation.

My previous teaching experience is in TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language), and I've been offered a place at university to study my MA in TESOL if I choose to leave the SCITT.

Although I feel that it is better for me to leave the SCITT and do the MA and return when I am ready, I can't help feeling that it's the 'wrong' decision. This has been eating away at me for weeks now, and I really just want to get my things in order so I can start to focus on them more and be happier.

The other trainees, and teachers are lovely on my SCITT I just have never felt more out of my depth, so much so that the more I have done the SCITT the more I have felt this way. I really wish there was a way of making it work.
    I’m sorry to say this, but it sounds as if teaching isn’t for you. I know quite a few teachers and I can tell you that if you’re struggling now, with a reduced timetable and all the support you should be getting (and it sounds as though you are), then you won’t survive the expectations of a full time teaching job. Teaching is a VERY demanding job, as I’m sure you’re already aware. It is also not as attractive as a career as it once was and difficult to leave after the first few years.

There is a reason why about half of new teachers leave the profession in their first three years. Have a look at this forum to get a flavour for what you’re letting yourself in for-

https://community.tes.com/forums/workplace-dilemmas.96/

(Original post by Jimmyjam1972)
    I’m sorry to say this, but it sounds as if teaching isn’t for you. I know quite a few teachers and I can tell you that if you’re struggling now, with a reduced timetable and all the support you should be getting (and it sounds as though you are), then you won’t survive the expectations of a full time teaching job. Teaching is a VERY demanding job, as I’m sure you’re already aware. It is also not as attractive as a career as it once was and difficult to leave after the first few years.

There is a reason why about half of new teachers leave the profession in their first three years. Have a look at this forum to get a flavour for what you’re letting yourself in for-

https://community.tes.com/forums/workplace-dilemmas.96/
    Teaching is tough but many people also find it extremely rewarding, At the start of teacher training it is common to feel out of your depth and that you are not coping- it feels so complex- like when you start learning to drive!! If you've enjoyed teaching previously I would definitely discuss how you are feeling with your tutors and the teacher you are working with. It could be you are being very hard on yourself and too critical and actually are showing good potential. if you leave teacher training now you are unlikely to ever be able to get back in - if you let tutors know they can give you a realistic picture as to where you are and the potential they can see in you as a teacher! You will always be in control of whether you leave or not but being open with your tutors will allow them to personalise their support and allow you to listen to another perspective as to your potential as a teacher and how you are doing. Feedback from observations in teaching includes positive emerging strengths and areas for development you may only be seeing/hearing the negatives. This happens all the time!!

I know lots of teachers who love teaching who wouldn't do anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Teaching is tough but many people also find it extremely rewarding, At the start of teacher training it is common to feel out of your depth and that you are not coping- it feels so complex- like when you start learning to drive!! If you've enjoyed teaching previously I would definitely discuss how you are feeling with your tutors and the teacher you are working with. It could be you are being very hard on yourself and too critical and actually are showing good potential. if you leave teacher training now you are unlikely to ever be able to get back in - if you let tutors know they can give you a realistic picture as to where you are and the potential they can see in you as a teacher! You will always be in control of whether you leave or not but being open with your tutors will allow them to personalise their support and allow you to listen to another perspective as to your potential as a teacher and how you are doing. Feedback from observations in teaching includes positive emerging strengths and areas for development you may only be seeing/hearing the negatives. This happens all the time!!

A very nice post. Obviously not from a teacher though.

I have been a teacher for 20 years. I can you tell you now that the job isn’t going to get any easier. In fact, it won’t ever be easier than it is right now. You’re in two thirds of a full timetable (at most), have plenty of support to help you with those difficult kids, they advise you on how to handle irate parents, and the staff, and to tell tell you that it’s all going to get better.

It isn’t.

Your NQT year will be harder- three times harder- than you have it now. Talk to the NQTs you’ve come across so far. I’m absolutely certain they’ll tell you that their training year was much easier than what they are going through now.

I’ve worked with and mentored many student teachers and NQTs, and I can tell you now that from what you’ve written- if you’re struggling now, you’re just not going to make it in the long run.

Actually, I wouldn’t feel bad about that, it’s the hardest job there is.

We need good people in the classroom, but I would suspect that the the previous poster knows teachers who have not been teaching very long. Many of the people that he or she knows are probably trying to convince themselves- as well as everyone else- when they say that they “wouldn’t do anything else”. That’s human nature- we just don’t like to admit we’ve made a massive mistake.

Trust me... listen now- or look back in 5 years time when you’re deskilled and envying peers who are earning more and working less than you- and rue the day.

I won’t be commenting on this thread again but I wish you well with whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Actually having read the above quote again, it sounds like it’s been written by an NQT.

Misery loves company!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.