Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    I'm going through the application form and I'm stuck on the percentages for my degree modules. The formula given is the total number of degree credits/module credits x 100, and the total has to add up to 100.
    As I did a four year course, the total overall credits is 480. I have 19 modules at 20 credits, 1 module at 40 credits and a final module at 60 credits. No matter how many times I calculate this I keep getting 97, and phoning UCAS proved to be useless.
    Is this because my degree was a four year course or has anyone else come across this problem?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateSims)
    I'm going through the application form and I'm stuck on the percentages for my degree modules. The formula given is the total number of degree credits/module credits x 100, and the total has to add up to 100.
    As I did a four year course, the total overall credits is 480. I have 19 modules at 20 credits, 1 module at 40 credits and a final module at 60 credits. No matter how many times I calculate this I keep getting 97, and phoning UCAS proved to be useless.
    Is this because my degree was a four year course or has anyone else come across this problem?
    It's because you're rounding down all of your 20 and 40 credit modules.

    Your 20 credit modules are 4.2% of your total credits (your 40 credit module is 8.3% and your 60 credit is 12.5% - which would add up to 100.6%) - if you can't put in decimals on UCAS then you're going to have to choose 3 modules to round up by 1% to get it to total 100%.

    Don't worry too much - they're really looking for a general idea.
    .
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's because you're rounding down all of your 20 and 40 credit modules.

    Your 20 credit modules are 4.2% of your total credits (your 40 credit module is 8.3% and your 60 credit is 12.5% - which would add up to 100.6%) - if you can't put in decimals on UCAS then you're going to have to choose 3 modules to round up by 1% to get it to total 100%.

    Don't worry too much - they're really looking for a general idea.
    .
    Ah, fantastic! I assumed that because they were asking to round up and down that they would check and penalize appropriately. I can get on with the rest of the application now, many thanks again!
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.