Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are the pros/cons of both? Which career is recommended?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to give their opinions on these two careers? from what I've gathered civil engineering is the harder degree, however the average salary is fairly similar? Both careers sound interesting to me, however I know that some people would say 'Quantity surveying is boring', so I'm not sure if this is true, but would it be the same for building surveying? Surveyors appear to be in demand and I'm wondering if there is a reason behind this!

ReputationRep:
    Hi My cousin studied building surveying, and has just compelted a post grad in Construction management at UWE and now works in the field and i'm looking to do tthe same.
    Civil Engineering needs you to be good at things like maths and physics as it involves lots of calculations as yuo can imagine when you think of civil engineers building things like bridges and tunnels whcih are really complex. I think also its worth studying it at a really good uni as there's less jobs in it about.
    Quantity surveying is about costing stuff, so its a bit like an accountant of buildings and they also do some contract stuff tends to be more office based.
    Building surveyors kind of map across they look at the construction of buildings, defects in them, remedial action, they can be involved in costing smaller projects, drawings, specifications, conservation of historic ones and refurbishments. Also you can move into other areas easier, so my cousin was a BS but is now moving into project management as the two map quite well together.
    My cousin walked into a job inBristol because they are so in demand in the South west cos there's lots of building works going on and housing shortages so you need to refurbish things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.