Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am currently studying maths GCSE and I am predicted a C/5 pass grade however I really struggle with Maths and am worried I may not achieve it. I am currently in year 11 with my final exams beginning of next year. Are there any tips or advice anyone has on passing maths or any helpful revision tips? I also have a mock exam coming up and am unsure which is the best way to revise.Any help appreciated! Thanks

Do you have the CGP revision guide? Start of by looking through 2 pages of that or so a day and make sure you properly understand it. Then once you have the basics do lots of practise questions and get your teacher to help you with any queries.

Personally, I feel like I missed a few vital concepts that reduced my grade; so find fundamental concepts and learn how to do them (e.g. multiplying or adding algebraic fractions or perhaps Venn diagram terminology - which came up last year).

Do every past paper available to you, do them multiple times, practising is the best way to improve and will help you get used to the way the exam is set up!

try to print as much past paper as you can. then, do it slowly. if u re unable to do it, then you might ask your teacher or friends. or maybe look at the mark scheme and try to understand it. the more you practice, the more prepared you'll be. but dont stress out. you may take a break then continue doing it. remember that making mistake is a usual thing. also, correct your mistake, make sure that next time you wn't make the same mistake again

i asked the same question here 1 year ago when i was thrilled about mathematics.
    i used to get lots of low grades in maths although i practice and solve alot , some girls in my class used to study less than me and get grades higher than me . i hated math
    then before the exams i said hating maths wont do anything to me
    the teachers put hard questions in exams and quizes although the past papers are comparatively easy.
    so i started solving past papers within the time limit and grade them after i finish and see the grade threshold and see weather i reached A* or not, with more and more solving i knew the style of the questions and what do they want to see in the marking scheme . i entered the exam solving so much.
    paper 4 was hard so i lost hope in getting the A*
    But GUESS WHAT?????
    i got it

The best thing you could probably do is print of a checklist (you can find them online for your specific exam board) and try to understand what each topic is asking you. Continue to do as many past paper questions as you can and try to think about if there's another way to answer those certain questions as often there is more than one way. Do at least two and see if you get to the same answer. Sometimes you will only find one way of getting to your solution and that's ok as long as it's correct. Defiantly tick off the checklist as you are learning topics and who knows you may even be able to convince your teachers to do the higher paper and get a 6 or 7. Oh and definitely learn equations you may need to know e.g. Quadratic formula and how to use them. Nearly forgot but for understanding topics I found YouTube videos very helpful. And if your still scared try and find a tutor if you can.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Thank you everyone for the advice it has really helped!

videos on topics you don't understand might help as that's what I did for GCSEs and A-level Maths
    past papers- then going through your wrong answers, and even right answers so you find ways to do them quicker
    do papers from different boards too as maths is maths at the end of the day regardless of the exam board! gl
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.