Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting to study Animation, and I'm creating my portfolio currently.

I've had a talk with my Art&Design teacher, and she wants to include ALL of my in-school art projects, but we did a sculpture project that I really didn't like. I sorta don't like her methods, cause she pushes down my own independent work in favour of the in school work we do.

Basically, would it be worth me including it anyway for variety, or not because I wouldn't be passionate about it??? I'm confused. All the unis I'm looking at are asking for variety, but also want to see passion.

ReputationRep:
    Put the picture in the back of the folder maybe and tell them that you've experimented with sculpting but don't feel passionate towards it, that shows you're willing to try things but also have a main focus (animation)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cjolly11)

I've had a talk with my Art&Design teacher, and she wants to include ALL of my in-school art projects, but we did a sculpture project that I really didn't like. I sorta don't like her methods, cause she pushes down my own independent work in favour of the in school work we do.

Basically, would it be worth me including it anyway for variety, or not because I wouldn't be passionate about it??? I'm confused. All the unis I'm looking at are asking for variety, but also want to see passion.
    Hi Cjolly

Where are you hoping to study Animation? The University you are applying for may be able to provide advice on what they would like to see in a portfolio.

There's also this article which gives an overview of what to include: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...for-university

Hope that helps.

Heather
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Including all of your projects is likely to end up with a portfolio that's too large and unfocused.

Depending on which universities you're interested in then different emphasis on drawing (2d animation), sculpture/3d work (3d animation) and computer based work (for computer/digital focused courses) would normally be expected in an animation portfolio - but that doesn't mean you should add work at random or feel like you should pad things out with work you're unhappy with.

You wont be presenting your portfolio to your teacher - you'll be presenting it to a university. If she's pressuring you then say you'll include it and then don't - it's your application and your portfolio not hers.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi cjolly11,

I'm currently a student at Ravensbourne doing my BA and I completely understand your frustration about portfolio. When I was applying to universities I had no idea what I should include in my portfolio. I recommend putting in work that you are proud of or even ones where you have learnt a lot. Most interviewers will ask you to choose one piece you really like and talk about it so only include work that you are able to talk about but also shows your skills. If you have life drawing I would recommend putting some of them in if you are applying for an Animation course because they like to see that you can draw figures. Things showcasing your story telling skills will also be helpful. You can put a picture of the statue in there if you would like to show more of a variety and that you don't just work flat.

We offer showreel and portfolio workshops for free if you would like to attend them. They will help you get a better idea of what needs to be included and how to prepare for your interview. You will be getting feedback from professional tutors to help you with your interview. We are located in London so if you are able to come to one I would highly recommend it. We also offer them during our open days so please feel free to come to one those. You will also get to talk to tutors and look at other students work during the open.

I hope this has helped and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Row

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.