Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am looking to get into a career with animals but I'm torn between whether to study Veterinary Nursing & companion behaviour or Zoology.
    Any information about the difference in study and career opportunities would greatly help?
    Thanks
    Jen
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenfurrr)
    Hi,
    I am looking to get into a career with animals but I'm torn between whether to study Veterinary Nursing & companion behaviour or Zoology.
    Any information about the difference in study and career opportunities would greatly help?
    Thanks
    Jen

One is a vocational course i.e it prepares you for a job and one is an academic one i.e you learn about the science and some applications. You have to work out which one interests you more and what you want to do. With zoology you may want to look at where grads from the unis you're interested in end up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenfurrr)
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Jen
    There is a big difference between them. Zoology courses are usually not concerned with animal disease or animal husbandry; domesticated animals feature only incidentally. On graduation, you could consider a variety of science-related careers, but you'd have to do further training to move into the practical side of animal care.

On the other hand, veterinary courses will not discuss ecology, do much on evolution or the sort of things that feature on David Attenborough programmes!

The area of overlap in practical/post-degree terms might include animal welfare and public engagement. If you want to study something in-between, there are a few degrees which occupy that overlap - for example, Salford does Wildlife Conservation with Zoo Biology; Nottingham Trent does Zoo Biology; the University of Greenwich does a Foundation Science degree on Zoo Husbandry and Management....there are lots of others.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.