Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I start university next year, and I was wondering if bringing these things would be normal:

- Desktop PC tower (mid-sized).
    - PC monitor and peripherals.
    - Warhammer 40K miniatures, paints, brushes, etc.
    - Electric guitar and amp.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?

If you want to bring them because they're things that you enjoy doing, then bring them.

If you can't be yourself in new surroundings like that, where can you be?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreddoFoo)
    Hey!

I start university next year, and I was wondering if bringing these things would be normal:

- Desktop PC tower (mid-sized).
    - PC monitor and peripherals.
    - Warhammer 40K miniatures, paints, brushes, etc.
    - Electric guitar and amp.

Cheers
    Bringing things you enjoy is normal, yes.

I brought my PC tower and it's brilliant because it helps me to avoid social interaction.

ReputationRep:
    PC isn't uncommon, but if you're due for an upgrade any time soon it would probably be worth getting a good laptop instead as they offer the same performance with the advantage of portability for not much more money now, maybe £200 more than an equivalent desktop.

Warhammer miniatures, etc. aren't abnormal, go for it.

Electric guitar, I would say be careful with that one. If you don't then best case scenario, you're that guy. Worst case, you end up annoying a lot of people with the noise too. The exception would be if your uni has good access to practice rooms for non-music students (this is fairly common) and you only really played in those rooms, or did busking, music society, etc. Playing in your room and at parties is a big no-no, though you might be able to get away with the former in the early afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    PC is totally normal. you'll want that even if you have a laptop for work presumably you have a PC for more intensive stuff like gaming or I'm going to assume from the guitar music production.

Warhammer models I'd carefully consider. You won't be able to ventilate the room and you might not have a great deal of desk space so if you leave them to dry you might not have any space to do anything else. But if you feel like it's something you will really miss then go for it. Do you know how big the desks are in your halls?

Guitar I'd say yes because it's a skill you will want to keep practicing while at uni. Most people who play something take it with them. I actually found it really nice being able to hear people around me playing. Do be mindful of the volume on your guitar though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.