Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Premier League at 25: Best ever game you watched or been to? Watch

• TSR Support Team

Another thread to celebrate the Premier League being 25 years old, so tell me what has been the best game you seen on TV or been to, Liverpool v Newcastle in 1995/96 always comes to mind to me.

ReputationRep:
    Tyne wear derby

Either the game with this https://youtu.be/CstftXIxYQ4 or this one https://youtu.be/vo3BS06L4No

ReputationRep:
    Rooney bicycle kick winner.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Another thread to celebrate the Premier League being 25 years old, so tell me what has been the best game you seen on TV or been to, Liverpool v Newcastle in 1995/96 always comes to mind to me.
    Probably not something you will remember fondly as a Villa fan, but Macheda's winner on my birthday

ReputationRep:
    Don't think this game is remembered by many but Man City 3-2 Tottenham.

City went 2-0 up, Tottenham came back to 2-2. Defoe misses an open goal at 90 minutes and Balotelli scores a penalty with practically the last kick.

That was 2011/12 so that win was crucial
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Smashing Arsenal 8-2.

Could have been double figures for us too.

I would put the 4-3 derby win over Man City in 09/10 at the top though. Michael Owen winner in the 96th minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Smashing Arsenal 8-2.

I would put the 4-3 derby win over Man City at the top though. Michael Owen winner in the 96th minute.
    I'm not even a Utd fan but some goals are made better by commentary no matter who scores them, Jon Champion in this case.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by sr90)
    Probably not something you will remember fondly as a Villa fan, but Macheda's winner on my birthday
    It's alright as Agbonlahor got the winner the season later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Leicester vs Arsenal 3-3 in 96/97, first time I saw Bergkamp who scored a ridiculous hat-trick and remember so many late goals in that match and probably one of the best hat-tricks I had ever seen.
    I also remember the 4-4 Arsenal vs Newcastle match sticking out with arsenal being 4-0 up at half time and it ending as a draw. But the Liverpool vs Newcastle is an all time classic though.

ReputationRep:
    MC 1 Leicester 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Smashing Arsenal 8-2.

I would put the 4-3 derby win over Man City in 09/10 at the top though. Michael Owen winner in the 96th minute.
    The 4-3 win was just... wow... Probably my favourite PL game.

The best match that I’ve been to watch live was when RVP scored that last minute equaliser against Chelsea a few seasons back. Bodies were flying everywhere.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    There's only one correct answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZKls77qAyo

Entire city was mental that day. In the pub from midday-ish to full time, then a succession of street parties. Think I got drunkly interviewed by local radio. Gave us my favourite sporting photo as well:

Just a perfect position with the hoarding behind the lad who was there from relegation to L1 to that day.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    The 4-3 win was just... wow... Probably my favourite PL game.

The best match that I’ve been to watch live was when RVP scored that last minute equaliser against Chelsea a few seasons back. Bodies were flying everywhere.
    I was going mental after that win, I remember the haters were in full force complaining about "Fergie time" back when I was on Yahoo answers :rofl:

I think the 3-2 win over Man City a few years back when RVP netted the winner from a free kick was amazing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I was going mental after that win, I remember the haters were in full force complaining about "Fergie time" back when I was on Yahoo answers :rofl:

I think the 3-2 win over Man City a few years back when RVP netted the winner from a free kick was amazing too.
    I thought we bottled that game when City equalised but then RVP scores and I went wild. I was out in public with my phone out watching the match and the next thing you see is me celebrating 😂😂
    • TSR Support Team

Think the best one I went to watch was when we beat Blackburn 6.4 in that League cup semi- final back in 2009/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    There's only one correct answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZKls77qAyo

Entire city was mental that day. In the pub from midday-ish to full time, then a succession of street parties. Think I got drunkly interviewed by local radio. Gave us my favourite sporting photo as well:

Just a perfect position with the hoarding behind the lad who was there from relegation to L1 to that day.
    Does it bother you at all that you'll most likely go the rest of your life supporting Leicester and nothing will ever come close to that again? Serious question not trying to be a ****. Just feel like every future achievement would feel a bit **** in comparison.

In response to OP Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal will take some beating for me for games I've been to live. TV viewing has to be Agueroooooooo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)
    Does it bother you at all that you'll most likely go the rest of your life supporting Leicester and nothing will ever come close to that again? Serious question not trying to be a ****. Just feel like every future achievement would feel a bit **** in comparison.
    This is a good question and I've thought about it too.

ReputationRep:
    Wolves 4-3 Leicester in what I think was the 03/04 season if my memory serves.

3-0 down at half time and my old man wanted to go back to the pub, I was like no, lets watch the first ten minutes of the second half and see how we go. 45 minutes later, the greatest comeback I have ever witnessed live.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)

In response to OP Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal will take some beating for me for games I've been to live. TV viewing has to be Agueroooooooo.
    There's definitely a 'where do we go from here' feeling thats been sat over the fanbase as a whole for the last year and a half with the league (the European nights were still a spectacular experience), and yeah, I've no idea how anything could ever top that. Tbh the way I'd describe it is similar to an RPG like fallout or skyrim - we've completed the main story, you could do it again but it's never as good as the first time, there's other side quests (still want a trip to Wembley for a cup final, (league or FA) last one was old wembley a couple of months before I turned seven) but you're just sort of wandering around aimlessly now.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.