Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am just a bit confused about the student loan and if I am eligible for the loan. I checked on the government website and it says I have to be 3 years on the first day of the course in other to be granted the loan and I will be 4 years and 9 months in this country by the time my course starts. However close relatives and some other people from university tell me that I have to be 5 years in this country before I will be eligible for loan. Our household income is below 21k per annum. So should I apply for the loan anyways? or what other steps can I take at this point? I will be going to university 2018. Help please!

    I think your relatives and people from the uni are a bit confused between tuition fee loans, which help cover the cost of the course at uni, and a maintenance loan, which is for the cost of living.

    As far as I understand, if you've lived in the country for 3+ years on the start date of your course, you are eligible for a tuition fee loan.
    If you've lived here for 5+ years on the start date of your course, you may also be able to get a maintenance loan to help you with the cost of living at uni - food, drinks, clothes, rent etc.

    Hope that helps a bit
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.