Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Micro Debate: Do you support the legalisation of cannabis? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is related to the legalisation of cannabis, and your stance on the topic. So feel free to voice your opinion here, and get involved in the debate! Would you support usage being legalised? Why/why not?

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's properly regulated & age-restricted (like tobacco), then why not? I don't have a stake in the issue though.

ReputationRep:
    I support complete legalisation because I get to decide what goes in my body and you don't.

ReputationRep:
    I support the legalisation of cannabis because it's a harmless substance for the most part; it's certainly no more harmful than alcohol. The government should not be micro-managing its citizens' lives.

ReputationRep:
    In theory drugs should all be legalized. It's nobody else's decision what the **** you do to yourself. And it would also mean that when you take Ecstasy you bought at Boots, you know it's actually Ecstasy and not rat poison that's going to kill you... As well as a huge hit to the criminal underworld operating in the country, and a boost for the government's funds so long as the NHS forces drug OD victims to pay for the treatment.

In practice, I have no idea of the implications. Some countries have implemented the law but I don't know how it would work here.

America has legalized cannabis and it doesn't seem to be problematic. We could legalize it for medical use at least.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RockyDennis)
    In theory drugs should all be legalized. It's nobody else's decision what the **** you do to yourself. And it would also mean that when you take Ecstasy you bought at Boots, you know it's actually Ecstasy and not rat poison that's going to kill you... As well as a huge hit to the criminal underworld operating in the country, and a boost for the government's funds so long as the NHS forces drug OD victims to pay for the treatment.

In practice, I have no idea of the implications. Some countries have implemented the law but I don't know how it would work here.

America has legalized cannabis and it doesn't seem to be problematic. We could legalize it for medical use at least.
    The point about quality control is a very good one, at least its content would be regulated at that point, and the number of deaths reduced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No because the country would go to pot.

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis is safer than alcohol. By logic, if people switch from alcohol to cannabis the country would be healthier.

ReputationRep:
    I fully support legalization. People should have autonomy over their body. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    You cant overdose on weed, well you can but no one can smoke 1500 pounds at once so you cant really overdose on it. For me personally, I haven't experienced any paranoia or anxiety and I've been consuming for nearly everyday for the past 3-4 years. It doesn't really cause any bad effects depending on how you smoke it, if you smoke it with tobacco then of course you'll get the effects of smoking tobacco depending on how much you use it and how much you smoke it, my lung capacity has increased from smoking it by bongs and playing games (say Mind Of A Stoner= 4, 2 ,1 6, where you take the amount of tokes for the amount of letters in the word then pass it on and not letting your smoke out until you cant hold it or finish the game) which trains you to hold your breath for a longer period of time.

It can help you concentrate, to sleep if you having difficulties and medical benefits as well. With it being legalized you can get rid of the dealers who spray and lace it with other things which can include cocaine and heroin which are of course Class A drugs which are terribly much more worse then weed, with it legalized you can get rid of all of the bad strains and get higher quality and cleaner buds.

This will also reduce the amount of crime as there will be les dealers about to sell illegally and that people who are carrying it wont get arrested, it will stop the police wasting time on weed related crimes as really is not a public disturbance or causing any trouble to people. It will obviously boost the economy too as it will attract more people to come to the UK, most probably London it will be so the economy will be much better. Since it would be legal you can treat people with it instead of the other ways of treatment which will cost more and could put the patients in more pain with the regular treatments,

For the people who do suffer from paranoia, addiction, anxiety, you could can help them by putting them in treatment to actually get them the help they need, instead of prosecuting them for smoking it, as I said above it will stop police wasting time stopping teenagers on the street for smoking it and could build better relations with the youth and police as they wont be stopping them for no reason at all apart from the fact they think they might have something on them.

Of course people say smoking can make you dopey, well you can have laws like; you cant be high in work, driving while high is illegal to stop it having effects on these type of situations. With laws like these there wont be any dangerous drivers (obviously ones who have smoked it and who are currently driving) or people who are to stoned to work.

It can help your creativity and imagination flourish when you smoke it as you feel. think and act different (of course your whole character and personality doesn't change completely but it brings out more of the real you as it can make people more confident).

For people who haven't smoked it you can't comment on the effects of weed as you don't know first hand what they are or how you'll re-act to it. The effects for me is; feeling more relaxed, feeling happier if I'm down, makes social situations more funnier and more bearable to be in as it makes you more social able, as stated above again it can help you sleep better. If you wouldn't want to smoke it all the time you could just smoke it at night to make you feel good before you go to sleep and wake up refreshed in the morning, in school it helps me to focus more and block out all of the distractions that are around me so I get more work done in school( I know I said about it not being allowed in the work place but I find it helps me work better in a work type environment)

There's also no recorded deaths from in taking weed as you cant overdose the amount you'd have to take is way to much for anyone to smoke at once. if you compare it to alcohol which make people aggressive, sick and a trouble for people, it also causes a lot of death and liver problems where as weed doesn't cause any of this, you'd just chill out and eat a pizza and have fun.

Of course there's one problem which is price, in this time, £10 will get you 1g and depending on how you smoke it can get you between 1-3 spiff's, zoots, joint whatever you wanna call it. Of course £20 will get you 2 grams and so on. If you limit yourself £10 can last you 1-3 days.

Ill throw in some terms that people actually use and not ones that are rarely used; £10 worth can be called; Benz, Tenz or Draw. £20 worth is; 8ball or 8th or draw again depending on where you from, £60 worth; Q, Quart or quarter which is 7g's of weed. £110 worth; A half which is 14g's of weed and about £220 worth is; Ounce or a Z which is around 28g's.. then there's Kilos, 9 bars which are just so expensive.

My bad about this long ass post I didn't plan or writing this much lmao, well there's my opinion on it. It should be legalized its just a plant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazee__)
    My bad about this long ass post I didn't plan or writing this much lmao
    Well I think you might have slightly exceeded the 140 character count specific in OP tbh (by a multiple of 35).

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion
    I think this is a fun concept but perhaps the Society forum doesn't have the traffic to support it, especially on a weekly basis.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I think this is a fun concept but perhaps the Society forum doesn't have the traffic to support it, especially on a weekly basis.
    It tends to get a few replies a week at least, but it's certainly not exclusive to Society, it's across the whole of D&CA!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.