Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand people become teachers because they want to pursue a career where they can teach the subject they love and help students achieve success, however most of my teachers do not give off that vibe at all.

Its like they became teachers because they thought 'well hey if I become a teacher I can get all the holidays off'.
    I am in no way discrediting all teachers. Do not misunderstand me.
    I am just freely talking about my view on certain teachers.

Take for example one of my science teachers. That teacher said and I quote 'I wanted to become a doctor but I didn't want to do all the work'.
    This teacher in lessons narrates the text book, gives us questions right from the text book and honestly isn't that much involved with the subject.

It makes the subject twice as hard because I have to independently study for that given subject.
    And then you've got that one teacher that teaches at the same pace as everyone because he/she feels that everyone is the same ability. For me this is for language subjects.

Like seriously, teachers are entrusted with out futures. They have the responsibility to teach us and help us thrive so later on we can go on to careers we enjoy.

Just because you hate your job or you couldn't become what you originally intended to do doesn't mean you pick the most important career where you need to be one hundred percent keen on teaching kids and moulding them to become successes.

You ask me its too easy to become a teacher. And the fact that so many teachers nowadays don't care about what they do is worrying for the future generations.

Whats your take on it?

ReputationRep:
    My Spanish teacher said "she hates working with children" and tbf she's a really scary and boring person, maybe one of the many reasons why i'm predicted to fail the god-curst subject. Also my computer science teacher said "he hates this job" and only became a teacher because he didn't have the grades to become what he wanted. I feel like that's what its like being a teacher, especially in the cities where public school children can be cruel and annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    My Spanish teacher said "she hates working with children" and tbf she's a really scary and boring person, maybe one of the many reasons why i'm predicted to fail the god-curst subject. Also my computer science teacher said "he hates this job" and only became a teacher because he didn't have the grades to become what he wanted. I feel like that's what its like being a teacher, especially in the cities where public school children can be cruel and annoying.
    One of my language teachers won't let me drop the subject. Basically forcing me to take it when I didn't even pick it in the first place. The school just forced me.
    And my teacher says 'you need a modern language to get into sixth form'.

Umm since when?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneiropólos)
    I understand people become teachers because they want to pursue a career where they can teach the subject they love and help students achieve success, however most of my teachers do not give off that vibe at all.

Its like they became teachers because they thought 'well hey if I become a teacher I can get all the holidays off'.

Take for example one of my science teachers. That teacher said and I quote 'I wanted to become a doctor but I didn't want to do all the work'.
    This teacher in lessons narrates the text book, gives us questions right from the text book and honestly isn't that much involved with the subject.

It makes the subject twice as hard because I have to independently study for that given subject.
    And then you've got that one teacher that teaches at the same pace as everyone because he/she feels that everyone is the same ability. For me this is for language subjects.

Whats your take on it?

As you stated, we're not speaking for the good teachers here. I had an absolutely fantastic History teacher during my A-levels who could, in my opinion, have made any subject scintillating to learn. Her genuine and vested interest and desire for us to succeed set her apart from others. She gave specific feedback and really took her job seriously. So it was the structure and technique of her teaching that impressed me, how well she knew the exam requirements etc, not just her enthusiasm for the subject, which was very high also. She had come to teaching from a different career she'd embarked upon after completing a History degree. I believe this made her more well-rounded and sure that teaching was her true vocation.

My point is: enthusiasm for the subject does not often mean you can excel at teaching it. I hate to be blunt here, but as in the case of your science teacher, many either take a subject at university that they do not have sufficient enthusiasm for, leading to them settling on teaching as the 'easier' job option, or take a subject that they love but do not know how to take forward with regards to career planning, and so therefore end up teaching as a default job. That's one of the main reasons for lacklustre teaching in my view. Especially with language degrees - teaching is one of the most straightforward ways to make use of a language degree from what I've read, and often people don't choose that path willingly, leading to cookie-cutter teaching. I'm sure some do embark on this career with willingness, but I've spotted many who haven't throughout my school life.

For me, teaching would be a nightmare; I couldn't bear to be back in the school environment! Particularly high school shudders. As someone who wants to work in law, technology or consultancy (or all three) teaching seems almost archaic as a career nowadays. I think the whole teaching system in the UK could do with a much needed revision and modernisation. Also that coding should be taught as part of the high school curriculum as well as primary schools.

ReputationRep:

Whats your take on it?
    Bit in bold at the top - a lot of teachers start off like this but then when they actually start teaching it is much harder than they imagine. I mean a large amount of teens are horrible to teachers or dont work hard in their own time so continue to fail despite being helped lots by teachers and this can be very disheartening. Now multiple that over long periods of time and it can easily become very easy to lose love for the job.

Others go into it because they cant find another job (degrees are sold as the magic ticket to a job, which a lot of the time isnt the case)

Bit in bold at the bottom - do you mean teachers teach at a certain consistent pace no matter the varying ability in the class? If so then they have to teach at the speed the majority of students in the class feel good with (and also in time to get all required content covered), they cant personally tailor the teaching speed to each student due to class numbers, if you are finding it too hard then you should either go down a set or do more work outside of the class room and if you are finding it too easy be moved up a set or if you are top set just live with it, it isnt the teachers fault that everyone in the class isnt as fast at learning X subject as you

ReputationRep:
    One of my language teachers won't let me drop the subject. Basically forcing me to take it when I didn't even pick it in the first place. The school just forced me.
    And my teacher says 'you need a modern language to get into sixth form'.

Umm since when?
    OMGG exactly. A language is a requirement for our school for some reason, even when the school sixth form doesn't require it. This years language exams are super hard, I wish i could also drop mine ;/

ReputationRep:
    many teachers are in the job because they like children.

There’s some teachers at my school that love their subjects and some who don’t care at all. For example, for English my teacher who I had in year 10 and year 11 was only 23 so I thought ‘oh no I might fail English because he’s young and he might not know how to make English papers correctly (even after all the training) etc’ I misjudged him so badly. He was the best English teacher I could ever ask for!! He had all the confidence in us. However, I thought he was marking our papers too generously and I still didn’t have confidence in him (I thought I did rubbish in my mocks) until results day came and I actually got higher than the grades he was giving me although what I wrote for the exams was sooo bad compared to my mocks. So he was marking harshly but fairly compared to the rest of the English department who were just being unfair.
    He literally lived and breathed his subject. He is obsessed with English although he doesn’t look like someone that does. He bonded with our class and he was funny and everyone trusted him and wasn’t scared of him etc. I’m very insecure about my English work so I did practice questions and he’s mark it with me after school (if it were any other teacher at my school they would get annoyed and say I’ll mark it and give it back tomorrow etc) but this guy gave up his time to help without ever getting angry or saying no.

On the other hand, I took citizenship as GCSE and previously I loved my teacher (she was old, acts intelligent and is funny and cares about her students like a mother) however she literally recited from a book and made us answer questions from it every lesson. Other teachers told me not to worry about citizenship because no one cares about it and is really easy to pass as 60% is coursework and it’s just group work. I was working at an A* all year. I was reading through the specification 2 weeks before my citizenship exam and it was mentioning things for our coursework like evidence for it such as daily logs on our progress etc which we have done but our teacher never sent that off with the rest of our coursework. On results day I got a C. Everyone in my class even the ones that didn’t do the coursework got a C. I don’t understand how. That was the lowest grade and all the other teachers eg science told us not to revise citizenship because it’s easy but in fact it wasn’t our fault it was our teachers because she didn’t read the spec.
    She came up to me on first day of sixth form and she was disappointed in me as I was working at an A*. I was NEVER working at an A* she just made that up.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    its an easy entry into a very secure job that is respectable enough to not feel bad about.. pays enough to not be embarrassed by, and has enough perks and stability to justify the downsides..

as a result you get a mix of those who love it and do it out of passion, and those who just finish university, and take what is a considerably more safe route into a respectable profession then many other paths.

That being said - the profession is not what it used to be, so I am not surprised at all to see shortages for teachers in some subjects. Far to much interference, stress, paperwork, these days to justify salleries that have not risen properly in years.

ReputationRep:
    There were so many teachers at my school who clearly hated children. I remember one time in year 11, I went up to an English teacher to ask her if she knows when I'll be able to get my grade for my mock paper I did. She wasn't my teacher, but I had to ask her because my actual teacher was on compassionate leave that week, but it was almost half-term so I needed to know. She proceeded to shout at me "how dare you ask for this information, your teacher is off for a very personal reason, how dare you rush her into doing your work. You will wait until she gives it to you, stop being so impatient". I literally just asked "do you happen to know when we can get our grades?". She was like that with everyone, so rude and angry all the time.

Then there are teachers who can't control a class. One of my teachers used to open a word document and project it on the screen and write "I will not continue until you are quiet" on it and wait for the rowdy class of teenagers to notice and stop. It never worked.

ReputationRep:
    You're not a real teacher until the first time you've been on strike, or flaked work because of a bit of snow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    There were so many teachers at my school who clearly hated children. I remember one time in year 11, I went up to an English teacher to ask her if she knows when I'll be able to get my grade for my mock paper I did. She wasn't my teacher, but I had to ask her because my actual teacher was on compassionate leave that week, but it was almost half-term so I needed to know. She proceeded to shout at me "how dare you ask for this information, your teacher is off for a very personal reason, how dare you rush her into doing your work. You will wait until she gives it to you, stop being so impatient". I literally just asked "do you happen to know when we can get our grades?". She was like that with everyone, so rude and angry all the time.

Then there are teachers who can't control a class. One of my teachers used to open a word document and project it on the screen and write "I will not continue until you are quiet" on it and wait for the rowdy class of teenagers to notice and stop. It never worked.
    My chemistry teacher has no idea how to control a class.
    Its so bad that if someone stabbed someone she would be like 'no no no don't do that'. Not an ounce of strictness

ReputationRep:
    You lot make many them that way by being insufferable little shites. Harsh truth.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.