The Student Room Group

Conservatoire audition questions?

I’m a guitarist auditioning to a few Conservatoires for Bmus(Hons) this year. Was wondering if anyone knew what kind of questions they’ll be asking and any other advice they’d like to give? Thanks
Original post by P0phead
I’m a guitarist auditioning to a few Conservatoires for Bmus(Hons) this year. Was wondering if anyone knew what kind of questions they’ll be asking and any other advice they’d like to give? Thanks

I did my interviews last year for composition so it'll probably be a bit different but a few common questions from my interviews were:

"Why do you what to study at a conservatoire as opposed to a university"

"Why do you want to study at this conservatoire". Really make your answer different for each place. As you can imagine, It's probably the worst question to go blank on so beforehand, do some research on various things each place offers.

"What composers are you listening to/do you like". Unlike composition interviews, where they'd expect composers from 1940 onwards, I doubt there's a wrong answer for performers. However, don't just list composers, instead, go into detail about why you like those composers and particular pieces that you like. The goal is, to quote my composition teacher, "to talk until they ask you to shut up". :smile:

General advice:

It's not a big thing but try to go to classical music concert sometime before your interview. If it comes up it's a nice thing to be able to mention.

Don't worry about nerves. They understand that people will make mistakes due to nerves.

At the end, they'll probably ask you if you have any questions. Needless to say, it's worth having a couple up your sleeve.

This might just be for composers (idk) but in most of my interviews, there was a part where the interviewer would play some intervals (and some also did chords (maj, min, dim, aug, dim, dom7)) had you have to say what they were - without looking at the piano. There are plenty of websites and apps to help with that.

Which conservatoires are you auditioning at?

<shameless self-promotion> I'm doing a GYG blog about my 1st year studying composition at RCM </shameless self-promotion>
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ChocCheesecake
I did my interviews last year for composition so it'll probably be a bit different but a few common questions from my interviews were:

"Why do you what to study at a conservatoire as opposed to a university"

"Why do you want to study at this conservatoire". Really make your answer different for each place. As you can imagine, It's probably the worst question to go blank on so beforehand, do some research on various things each place offers.

"What composers are you listening to/do you like". Unlike composition interviews, where they'd expect composers from 1940 onwards, I doubt there's a wrong answer for performers. However, don't just list composers, instead, go into detail about why you like those composers and particular pieces that you like. The goal is, to quote my composition teacher, "to talk until they ask you to shut up". :smile:

General advice:

It's not a big thing but try to go to classical music concert sometime before your interview. If it comes up it's a nice thing to be able to mention.

Don't worry about nerves. They understand that people will make mistakes due to nerves.

At the end, they'll probably ask you if you have any questions. Needless to say, it's worth having a couple up your sleeve.

This might just be for composers (idk) but in most of my interviews, there was a part where the interviewer would play some intervals (and some also did chords (maj, min, dim, aug, dim, dom7)) had you have to say what they were - without looking at the piano. There are plenty of websites and apps to help with that.

Which conservatoires are you auditioning at?

<shameless self-promotion> I'm doing a GYG blog about my 1st year studying composition at RCM </shameless self-promotion>

Thanks a lot for your help really appreciated!

I’m applying to Royal Academy of Music, Royal College of Music, Birmingham Conservatoire, Royal Northern College, Royal Wealsh College and Royal Conservatoire Scotland.
Original post by P0phead
Thanks a lot for your help really appreciated!

I’m applying to Royal Academy of Music, Royal College of Music, Birmingham Conservatoire, Royal Northern College, Royal Wealsh College and Royal Conservatoire Scotland.

No problem! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Just a quick note about RAM. The aural test was significantly harder than any of the other ones I did so if it doesn’t go too well, just know that it’s designed to be challenging. Apparently though, it only plays a minor role in whether or not you get a place; they mainly focus on how the audition went.

“Aural skills tests may be required of all prospective undergraduates, the tests consist of sight-singing and some of the following:
singing the middle notes in a chord
identification of intervals
sight reading of rhythms
sight reading of two simultaneous different rhythms, to be sung and clapped

Undergraduate candidates are required to take a 50-minute written paper which comprises harmonisation of a short melody and a choice of short essay questions of a general musical nature. The Academy regrets that it cannot issue specimen papers. You do not have to take this at your audition if you are auditioning outside London. The whole audition process is normally completed in one day“
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest