Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most people could read and understand a BA essay (on say history or politics) but most would have difficulty understanding a BSc essay (eg on RNA). Therefore BSc degrees are harder. Discuss.

I say this because my smart arse mate enjoys critiquing essays (mostly BA) and giving feedback. However he struggles to grasp BSc essays. He believes a lot of BSc is memorising whereas I think it takes skill to visualise and understand various concepts. Maths and science is almost like a different language.

ReputationRep:
    Well BA is a bachelor of arts whilst BSc is science. Arts is obviously gonna be more of an artsy subject and less "sciency". Eg I go BSc Digital Media and mine focusing much more on programming, design (photoshop and such) and web development and such whilst BA Digital Media is much more hands on, and artsy. I know this isn't what you asked and nothing to do with essays. But what im tryna say is BA courses are easier to get your head around compared to alot more complications in BSc courses
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So you're saying that all Oxford degrees are easy.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Most people could read and understand a BA essay (on say history or politics) but most would have difficulty understanding a BSc essay (eg on RNA). Therefore BSc degrees are harder. Discuss.

I say this because my smart arse mate enjoys critiquing essays (mostly BA) and giving feedback. However he struggles to grasp BSc essays. He believes a lot of BSc is memorising whereas I think it takes skill to visualise and understand various concepts. Maths and science is almost like a different language.

ReputationRep:
    It just annoys me when people say that BSc students don't know how to write an essay. As a chemistry MChem student, I've written 4 actual essays, 2 (eventually 3) long project essays, and done so many lab reports I've lost count. We can research just as well as a BA student, write an essay just as well but we have added problem solving skills and technical skills

I don't know if it's right to quantify the difficulty of them with respect to each other, but BSc's definitely have the edge
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Oh lord, not this mastabatory thread again.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Dumb question. Obviously there are different aspects to intelligence and certain people have specific strengths.

It isn't true that most people could read and understand a BA essay, someone with a maths pHd couldn't understand my History of Art dissertation.

People who studied STEM usually love making themselves feel more important by saying these subjects are harder and more valid pursuits, but ultimately the Sciences can only take you so far, in the same way that the Humanities can only take you so far.

Both the Sciences and Humanities have value for humanity. An appreciation or curiosity for both makes a well rounded and more open minded individual.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know and i dont care, degree is a degree

I think they are, due to the science, maths, statistics etc. Arts seem to be all about subjectivity, though I would find it hard to write thousands of words on one piece of art (I know BA is not just art as a subject). I have seen people say that they have chosen a BA because it's easier than BSc. Some people have said they do sociology because it's a easier than psychology. Sociology is quite subjective and often a BA, whilst psychology is often taken as Bsc and is very scientific.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.