Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in 2nd year studying Biology and looking at transferring to another university to start in 2nd year in September next year as I'm not happy with my course.

I've been in contact with a couple of Unis and have been 'encouraged' to apply through UCAS - which I'm taking to mean they'll consider me but I'm by no means guaranteed a place.

I therefor need to go through the UCAS process again (having thought I'd seen the back of it), but am a little stuck as I last did it about 3 years ago. I was wondering if anyone else has been through the same thing and could just give me a bit of advice when it comes to personal statement - just in terms of kind of how you structured it and what you mentioned as it was a bit more obvious what to include coming out of 6th form but now I've a lot more to talk about but not quite sure what to do with all the information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - just could do with a bit of help so I can make sure I get the best application sent off.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toby_roberts)
    I'm currently in 2nd year studying Biology and looking at transferring to another university to start in 2nd year in September next year as I'm not happy with my course.

I've been in contact with a couple of Unis and have been 'encouraged' to apply through UCAS - which I'm taking to mean they'll consider me but I'm by no means guaranteed a place.

I therefor need to go through the UCAS process again (having thought I'd seen the back of it), but am a little stuck as I last did it about 3 years ago. I was wondering if anyone else has been through the same thing and could just give me a bit of advice when it comes to personal statement - just in terms of kind of how you structured it and what you mentioned as it was a bit more obvious what to include coming out of 6th form but now I've a lot more to talk about but not quite sure what to do with all the information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - just could do with a bit of help so I can make sure I get the best application sent off.
    With any PS there are 3 questions admissions staff are looking to answer
    1) does the applicant understand what they're applying for? For a transfer doing some research about the modules and strengths of the course you're applying to and making it clear that you're looking forward to studying those topics in more detail would be sensible
    2) does the applicant have the motivation to stick out the degree? For a transfer that's going to involve addressing the reasons you want to transfer - you need to reassure them that you're confident that the things you're unhappy with atm will be resolved by a change of university
    3) does the applicant have any non academic skills/experience required to succeed on the course? for life sciences this isn't something you need to cover - your transcript and reference will address all the academic requirements.

You really just need to talk about your subject - what you've enjoyed so far, any particular work or modules you've enjoyed, what you are looking forward to study in more depth as your course progresses and why you're looking to swap universities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.