Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do women complain about the sexualisation of boobs but then buy push up bras? Watch

I don't get why women have a problem with men being attracted to breasts? They keep going on about how breasts are functional and for breast feeding and that they're basically the same as a man's chest. But then when they go out, they do their best to get their cleavage showing and then complain that they're being sexualised. Surely women like having this additional attractive feature? I think it's great that a man's moobs aren't anything to write home about but a woman's boobs are another thing they can play up to add to their sexual appeal?

ReputationRep:
    skrt skrt
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ah so you're the "if you were fully dressed then maybe you wouldn't get sexually harassed" type.

ReputationRep:
    You've missed the point. In adverts and in media, a man can have his bare chest out without covering his nipples. However, if a woman goes out on social media with her nipples out, it's "offensive" and "nudity" and it gets removed from the site. It's just so wrong. Breasts are for feeding babies and producing milk. It is some men and the media that have sexualised them into being offensive if too much is shown.

Yes, it is nice for people to think you have nice breasts. But the main issue is around nipples. A man can have his non-functional nipples out but a woman can't have her very functional ones out because it's "offensive", yet they are the things that support life.

The issue in my opinion isn't about the boob but the nipple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald777O)
    Ah so you're the "if you were fully dressed then maybe you wouldn't get sexually harassed" type.
    Ah, you're the "I have no idea what the issue is here, but I know I'm right" type.

ReputationRep:
    He literally didn't imply that at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    You've missed the point. In adverts and in media, a man can have his bare chest out without covering his nipples. However, if a woman goes out on social media with her nipples out, it's "offensive" and "nudity" and it gets removed from the site. It's just so wrong. Breasts are for feeding babies and producing milk. It is some men and the media that have sexualised them into being offensive if too much is shown.

Yes, it is nice for people to think you have nice breasts. But the main issue is around nipples. A man can have his non-functional nipples out but a woman can't have her very functional ones out because it's "offensive", yet they are the things that support life.

This misses the point of the debate entirely.

The OP is arguing that women complain about being sexualised - and then buy clothes that sexualise them.

Personally, I don't necessarily agree - the women that complain and the women that buy the clothes might not be the same women - but that's the argument being made - not whether it's nipples or breasts.

ReputationRep:
    jesus christ where did this come from

ReputationRep:

Lmao what

>breasts weren't sexualised before the media

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:

The protruding female breast in combination with its nipple probably contributes to societal disapproval. If women were as flat chested as men, but still had functional nipples, I don’t think them showing it would be as frowned upon.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Coz women can train men to fantasise with just about anything.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I thought I'd get that reaction. I struggled to put my opinion into a way that makes sense. Eh well. Attack my opinion, I await the responses! :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't get why women have a problem with men being attracted to breasts? They keep going on about how breasts are functional and for breast feeding and that they're basically the same as a man's chest. But then when they go out, they do their best to get their cleavage showing and then complain that they're being sexualised. Surely women like having this additional attractive feature? I think it's great that a man's moobs aren't anything to write home about but a woman's boobs are another thing they can play up to add to their sexual appeal?
    I feel its more to do with the physiological aspect of things, studies show that men prefer to get with a woman with bigger/ perkier boobs due to the fact that they are better for nursing children and used to be seen as a sign of fertility so this could be ONE of the many reasons why. It may also be due to todays social pressures, big boobs are a style nowadays. both of these reasons DO NOT mean that women's breasts should be sexualised.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I thought I'd get that reaction. I struggled to put my opinion into a way that makes sense. Eh well. Attack my opinion, I await the responses! :curious:
    Saying something factually wrong is not an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Some women play it to their sex appeal, some girls cover for modesty. Some girls will complain, whilst others will go far as too even get implants to increase the size because they feel its a necessity. Somehow this threads has gone onto nipples, and in my opinion, a women breast should not be shown because it has been seen as sexualised even before media. Either way, let the girls do what they want lets not complain, its a win win for both-if they want to cover up, I can hit up some websites, and if they show off ill come back home feeling good ;PPP

ReputationRep:
    titties are nice

ReputationRep:
    Breasts are a sexual organ. There is no sexulisation possible.

It's nature.

ReputationRep:
    That's because your opinion doesn't make sense.

Some women complain about sexualisation of breasts.

Some women buy wonderbras.

There's nothing to say that they're the same women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    Saying something factually wrong is not an opinion.
    Oh dear haven't I just twisted some knickers tonight! Let me clear myself up.

My whole post was an opinion. I never said it was fact or accurate. I didn't research my initial post, I just wrote what I've been under the impression of in regards to this topic. Apologies for offending you with my incorrect statement. I take it back, back I say!

ReputationRep:
    Different women.... The ones complaining are not the ones wearing push up bras and low cut tops. The ones that do, don't complain about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.