Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm an international student who wishes to study Chem Eng. and I have a few questions.

Is integrated masters worth it in my career? Is it just a waste of time and money for a chemical engineer? I have seen people saying it is just over-qualification. I don't know what to choose.... Would there be a clear advantage of doing Meng?
    As an international student, cost really matters....

If I choose Beng instead of Meng, can I still change to Meng in university? or vice- versa?

I also want to know if 'A year in industry' (sandwich year) is better than looking for a job straight after graduation bcuz that program adds another year of university and I heard that it is hard to get a place these days

(U of Bath for example)

And my uni choices are
    Imperial
    Manchester
    Bath
    Sheffield
    UCL??? It seems that UCL's chemical engineering is not as good as above unis?

Can you recommend me other unis for chem eng? or should I stick to UCL, just to feel that I get accepted by a prestigious 'London' uni?

because UCL is really expensive compared to others and my parents said no for UCL and Imperial due to cost. So I think applying to UCL is a waste of a uni choice...
    (but I have always wanted to apply Imperial even though I cannot afford it)

and my IB predicted grade is 43 with
    HL math, chem, phy, eng B 7776
    SL Korean, B&M 7,6 and 3 bonus points

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mindol3863)
    Hi

I'm an international student who wishes to study Chem Eng. and I have a few questions.

Is integrated masters worth it in my career? Is it just a waste of time and money for a chemical engineer? I have seen people saying it is just over-qualification. I don't know what to choose.... Would there be a clear advantage of doing Meng?
    As an international student, cost really matters....

If I choose Beng instead of Meng, can I still change to Meng in university? or vice- versa?

I also want to know if 'A year in industry' (sandwich year) is better than looking for a job straight after graduation bcuz that program adds another year of university and I heard that it is hard to get a place these days

(U of Bath for example)

And my uni choices are
    Imperial
    Manchester
    Bath
    Sheffield
    UCL??? It seems that UCL's chemical engineering is not as good as above unis?

Can you recommend me other unis for chem eng? or should I stick to UCL, just to feel that I get accepted by a prestigious 'London' uni?

because UCL is really expensive compared to others and my parents said no for UCL and Imperial due to cost. So I think applying to UCL is a waste of a uni choice...
    (but I have always wanted to apply Imperial even though I cannot afford it)

and my IB predicted grade is 43 with
    HL math, chem, phy, eng B 7776
    SL Korean, B&M 7,6 and 3 bonus points

Thank you for your help
    You should be able to switch from an MEng to a BEng (and vice versa)

I believe doing the MEng means you would have met the educational side of requirements to gain Chartered (CEng) status.

To be honest, I've not heard much praise for UCL Engineering in general.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.