Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How common is it to have your uni rent paid for by your parents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When you get the smallest student loan.

ReputationRep:
    Lol my bro and sis paid for themselves. But if ur getting a really low student loan coz of their income, i guess theres no harm in asking them for some money sometimes.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Also most students get jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clearasilly)
    When you get the smallest student loan.
    If you are getting a small loan, the government expects your parents to contribute towards your living costs. Maybe not pay off your entire rent. but at least some.

ReputationRep:
    Common if your parents are loaded. Not common for vast majority of people.

ReputationRep:
    LOL.. I wish. Am a mature student with two adult sons..one of whom is severely autistic. I've no one to pay my rent and I have a long work placement ( unpaid) with my degree course which makes getting a job nigh on impossible as there are not enough hours left in the week. Am struggling to stay awake to do reading as it is,

ReputationRep:
    Uncommon, but not rare. For many parents it's easier to just pay their child's rent than give them the money for it.

ReputationRep:
    What dictates the size of the your student loan?

ReputationRep:
    The smallest loan is in place because the government expects your parents to pay some of the costs. So the answer is it's extremely common.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the student, but if you are getting not a lot of money loaned to you, it is reasonable for your parents to help out if they can, or you could look for part time work.

ReputationRep:
    If the loan doesn't cover the accommodation costs (which it usually won't if you have the minimum loan) then parents will usually help out a bit. Mine are paying the gap between what my loan covers and what I have to pay (about £300) and helping me out with food but I'm getting a job to cover everything else.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your parents' willingness to help out. One of my flatmates gets the smallest loan, but her parents have bills and other stuff they need their money for, so she has a job but is still really struggling for money. Her loan doesn't cover her accommodation so she has to save up £1000 extra just to be able to pay the accommodation costs. And then she has to be able to pay for food etc.

ReputationRep:
    Common
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty common for parents to contribute at least some rent if the student doesn't get a free ride from the government. Paying the whole thing does happen, but is less common.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.