Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to know all the words on the syllabus in order to gain a high grade in a language?

Can you get a B or an A just by memorising half the words?

ReputationRep:
    I definitely didn't learn all the words, but I was on the old GCSE, and I got lucky on the exam because all of the topics that came up were ones I knew the vocabulary for. I'd say start learning it now so that you can learn as much as possible, as otherwise you have to rely on what you do know coming up, which is a little scary (from experience!)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgt811)
    Do you need to know all the words on the syllabus in order to gain a high grade in a language?

It shouldn't just be about memorising words. Really you should try to know all of them - you never know what will come up! But don't work too hard on memorising words that you think you'd be able to figure out in an exam (such as cognates).

ReputationRep:
    You would be better of learning all the vocab. Review a bit each day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malayaleemuthe)
    You would be better of learning all the vocab. Review a bit each day
    I'm planning on doing a bit each day anyway but the vocab list on memrise only includes less than 900 words. Do you think it's acceptable to just revise these words?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgt811)

Realistically the exam board can't test you on anything else but the words so I highly recommend you revise them. It will make anything else to do with the language you do a lot easier. It's a starting point and most of the other stuff is bound to be commons words used all the time anyway.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd say only memorise the syllabus words if you've already got a good grip on the grammar, structure and word usage of the language you are trying to learn. Unless you know how to form things such as compounds nouns and use tenses or conjugations you aren't naturally familiar with (such as the 14 tenses in French or the て form in Japanese), memorising vocabulary is so much harder, when you don't know how each of the words interact with each other. For Asian languages especially, learning vocab without mastering the common grammar points is pointless. You'll also get more marks for demonstrating a range of sentence structures and it's especially important to familiarise yourself with the adverbs of your chosen language, as it allows for the easy demonstration of meaning when writing. Just make sure you've got a very strong undertanding of word interaction before you try to memorise them. Otherwise, they'll likely slip out of memory very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't memorise a single word. Natural ability got me 95% and 99% of UMS points in my German and French GCSE's respectively.

ReputationRep:
    In the dark old days I got a B without saying a word in the speaking exam, ha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.