Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I understand quadratic equations using factoring when the first factor has a coefficient of 1. e.g.

x^2 +10x + 25

I get confused when the coefficient is more than 1? e.g.

6x^2 - 8x - 8

or

2x^4 + 14x^2 + 24

I think its because both equations have a common factor?
    Also, can someone explain decomposition?

Thank you
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Natalie-x)
    Hi,

I understand quadratic equations using factoring when the first factor has a coefficient of 1. e.g.

x^2 +10x + 25

6x^2 - 8x - 8

or

2x^4 + 14x^2 + 24

Thank you
    Just take out whatever you need

Eg in your first example, 6x^2 - 8x - 8 can become 6(x^2 -(8x/6) - (8/6)) and factorise the inside and hen multiply the result by 6 at the end.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Natalie-x)
    Hi,

x^2 +10x + 25

6x^2 - 8x - 8

or

2x^4 + 14x^2 + 24

Thank you
    The first thing I'd do is factor out the highest common factor amongst all the coefficients. So for 6x^2-8x-8 I'd factor out 2 to get 2(3x^2-4x-4)

Then consider factorising 3x^2-4x-4 and the way you do it is say that it is equal to 3(x+\frac{\lambda}{3})(x+\frac{ \mu}{3}) where \lambda + \mu = -4 and \lambda\mu = -12. One such case is \lambda = -6 and \mu=2 so just sub those back up in there to get the total factorisation of 2(x-2)(3x+2)

In general, when you have ax^2+bx+c, where a,b,c have no more common factors, it can be factorised into the form \displaystyle a \left( x+\frac{\lambda}{a} \right) \left( x+\frac{\mu}{a} \right) where \lambda+\mu = b and \lambda\mu = ac
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    The first thing I'd do is factor out the highest common factor amongst all the coefficients. So for 6x^2-8x-8 I'd factor out 2 to get 2(3x^2-4x-4)

Then consider factorising 3x^2-4x-4 and the way you do it is say that it is equal to 3(x+\frac{\lambda}{3})(x+\frac{ \mu}{3}) where \lambda + \mu = -4 and \lambda\mu = -12. One such case is \lambda = -6 and \mu=2 so just sub those back up in there to get the total factorisation of 3(x-2)(3x+2)

In general, when you have ax^2+bx+c, where a,b,c have no more common factors, it can be factorised into the form \displaystyle a \left( x+\frac{\lambda}{a} \right) \left( x+\frac{\mu}{a} \right) where \lambda+\mu = b and \lambda\mu = ac
    Out of interest, were you taught this method originally? It's just as good as other methods but I don't think many students learn it in school for some reason.

I've seen it thought of as turning the original quadratic into a disguised quadratic by multiplying it by a.

\displaystyle 3x^2-4x-4 = \frac{1}{3}\left((3x)^2-4\cdot(3x) - 12 \right) = \frac{1}{3}\left(y^2-4y-12\right) = ...

But this is just another way of thinking about exactly the same thing.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Out of interest, were you taught this method originally? It's just as good as other methods but I don't think many students learn it in school for some reason.

I've seen it thought of as turning the original quadratic into a disguised quadratic by multiplying it by a.

\displaystyle 3x^2-4x-4 = \frac{1}{3}\left((3x)^2-4\cdot(3x) - 12 \right) = \frac{1}{3}\left(y^2-4y-12\right) = ...

But this is just another way of thinking about exactly the same thing.
    Don't remember being taught a concrete, simple, and easy to remember method in school to be honest. For this, I just googled some simple method and stuck to it.

Though I do prefer your method as it's much faster in practice. I don't factorise quadratics as much anymore to have looked for any simpler method aha
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Don't remember being taught a concrete, simple, and easy to remember method in school to be honest. For this, I just googled some simple method and stuck to it.

Though I do prefer your method as it's much faster in practice. I don't factorise quadratics as much anymore to have looked for any simpler method aha
    Haha yes you don't really have to factorise many quadratics in a maths degree

My method has always been to write out two brackets e.g. (3x + __)(x + __) and work out the missing numbers. But this takes practice so I understand why a lot of students don't like it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.