Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a French Year 13 student, I'm predicted 20/20 in various English courses for my Baccalauréat and I'll send my UCAS application soon, for an English Language degree. I just wanted to know what my chances were to get into the University of Edinburgh as a EU student. Am I more likely to be accepted because I'm not from the UK? And do they give unconditionnal offers to EU students rather than conditionnal ones because our results are later than the A-Level ones?

P.S. I'm applying for an English Language course at Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Dundee as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juliette Tae)
    Hi!

I'm a French Year 13 student, I'm predicted 20/20 in various English courses for my Baccalauréat and I'll send my UCAS application soon, for an English Language degree. I just wanted to know what my chances were to get into the University of Edinburgh as a EU student. Am I more likely to be accepted because I'm not from the UK? And do they give unconditionnal offers to EU students rather than conditionnal ones because our results are later than the A-Level ones?

P.S. I'm applying for an English Language course at Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Dundee as well
    To be completely honest, Edinburgh is hard to get into regardless of who you are. They have one of the lowest offer rates in the country (something like 48% iirc) even for Scottish students; I don't think it makes a lot of difference if you're from the EU in that regard. In a few universities you're actually LESS likely to get an offer because you're not from the UK, since you're competing for a place with the locals. I don't know if Edinburgh is like that.

They don't give unconditionals because you're not from the UK. Likely, you'll be given a conditional offer based on your home country's standards, and accepted once your results are sent by your school.

The hard part about Edinburgh isn't meeting their offer, it's getting one in the first place.

Edit: St Andrews is around 52% iirc, so not much better. You have better odds of getting an offer from Aberdeen, Dundee and possibly Glasgow, so I hope you like them just as much as Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is my heart choice but I would love to get into St Andrews or Glasgow as well as they still have a great ranking! Stirling and Dundee are other choices so if I get into one of those two, I won't be disappointed. It's up to me and my work after all! Thanks for your help though

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

The Scottish Government places a cap on the number of Scottish/EU students Scottish universities can admit because they pay your fees for you.

Chances are it's probably more difficult to get an offer compared to your English counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh publish their admission stats here

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruit...ons-statistics

For English Language offer rate was 27% in 2016 for Scottish/EU (last year there are stats for) but 78% for rest of UK.
    It's very much harder for Scottish/EU students to get an offer because of the cap on places.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is my heart choice but I would love to get into St Andrews or Glasgow as well as they still have a great ranking! Stirling and Dundee are other choices so if I get into one of those two, I won't be disappointed. It's up to me and my work after all! Thanks for your help though
    I applied for Edinburgh and Aberdeen this year too, so I know how you feel Of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with aspiring - your chance goes down to 0% if you don't after all! Bonne chance! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely! Merci!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Meh, you'll get in.

People have gotten into Oxbridge and LSE with worse grades than yours for uber competitive courses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.