Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm planning studying a course at the open university but I have no idea where to start

Right now i work as a clerical officer but I have no qualifications, to help me climb the.ladder in my company I'd like to get some qualifications behind me I have no gcse so I'm kind of stuck as to where I go

Any help or information is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demented85)
    Hi I'm planning studying a course at the open university but I have no idea where to start

Right now i work as a clerical officer but I have no qualifications, to help me climb the.ladder in my company I'd like to get some qualifications behind me I have no gcse so I'm kind of stuck as to where I go

Hey,

When looking at 'climbing the ladder', have you identified a position in which you wish to attain? By identifying that position, you could look at a person who holds said position and seek to "mimic" their qualifications and experience, enabling you to move towards obtaining a similar position.

An example of this (and i'm speaking generally here) is that you may be a clerical officer working for the CPS. You have looked at the lawyers who work in the office and decide that you want to do that. To be a lawyer in the CPS you would need to have obtained a qualifying law degree, have completed further study such as the Legal Practise Course and shown an interest in criminal law during your study. You may then look to obtain work experience in said environment to bolster your application when the time comes.

If you were able to give some more details perhaps we could offer some more relevant advice

ReputationRep:

If you have no qualifications at all, you should consider at least taking the core GCSEs in Maths and English before doing anything else. While you don't necessarily need these to undertake OU courses, most employers will expect to see these qualifications while you don't have a degree (and an OU degree can take a long time). You should also look at the OU offerings and see what they suggest as foundation courses for people in your situation. Whatever you do, don't just dive in to a level 1 course without having prepared the ground, as you will be more likely to abandon it. As for subjects - apart from the Maths and English, just go for what interests you; it doesn't matter what it is. If a subject is interesting to you, you are more likely to do well in it, and that will be an important boost to your confidence.

You could also make some enquiries at work about what opportunities/funding might be available to get you started.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

I agree with the above, taking GCSEs in English and Maths would be a good idea.

Regarding the OU and what to study, it depends, what are you interested in? You don't need to know exactly which subject you want to study to begin with, it's quite common for new OU students to register on one degree (usually the Open degree) and then switch to a different one after they've narrowed down their interests. That said, it is important to know which field you'd like to study (humanities, social sciences, science/maths, business, engineering/computing, law or education/youth studies).

If you are interested in the humanities then you will begin with AA100 (which introduces you to history, English, classical studies, music, art history, philosophy and religious studies).

If you are interested in social sciences then you will begin with DD102 (which introduces you to psychology, social policy, criminology, geography and the environment, politics, international studies, economics and sociology).

If you are interested in science, then you will begin with S111 (which introduces you to astronomy, planetary science, biology, chemistry, Earth and environmental sciences, and physics).

Etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.