AQA English literature paper1 section a - lord of the flies

Watch
anonymous_1947
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, a couple of questions here....

I have my mocks coming up at the end of nov/start of dec and I'm completely baffled on how to approach the 30 mark question on the modern text question.

Firstly I know there will be 2 questions to choose from, so couldn't you just focus on characters for e.g. instead of themes or symbols? Of course, I'm aware you would need to talk about themes of savagery, civilisation, good and evil when focusing on characters but that's not going to be the specific thing you're focusing on, right?

And lastly, if one was going to talk about how a particular character is presented, how would you incorporate structure and form analysis into that because I've heard that for top-grade answers, you can't just examine language.

Sorry for the long questions! Help would be much appreciated!
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonymous_1947)
Hi, a couple of questions here....

I have my mocks coming up at the end of nov/start of dec and I'm completely baffled on how to approach the 30 mark question on the modern text question.

Firstly I know there will be 2 questions to choose from, so couldn't you just focus on characters for e.g. instead of themes or symbols? Of course, I'm aware you would need to talk about themes of savagery, civilisation, good and evil when focusing on characters but that's not going to be the specific thing you're focusing on, right?

And lastly, if one was going to talk about how a particular character is presented, how would you incorporate structure and form analysis into that because I've heard that for top-grade answers, you can't just examine language.

Sorry for the long questions! Help would be much appreciated!
You can indeed just focus on characters; if you chose a question about a character and spent an extended amount of time discussing a theme, you wouldn't be answering the question and you would lose marks. The most important thing to do is to answer the question, even if that means having to leave out something your teacher usually tells you to write about.

Essentially, when you're analysing a character, you can look at what they say, how other characters describe and converse with them and how the author describes them. If any of these three aspects are written using a particular structure (e.g. lots of short sentences, lists etc.), you can write about that. You could also describe how the plot structure and progression contributes to the presentation of a certain character; for example, a story might have a clear beginning, middle and end to show the progress of a character. Form is slightly more difficult, but for Lord of the Flies in particular, the chants (about killing the pig, I believe) are quite significant to the portrayal of Jack and the choir boys since they demonstrate their animalistic behaviour; that's definitely something you could touch on.
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonymous_1947)

In addition to the comments above, structure is covered when you look at character development through the text. LOTF is ideal for this because as the story progresses the characters become less civilised in stages. For Jack you could refer to the loss of his uniform and its replacement with the war paint. Ralph and Piggy get slowly drawn in by the meat and chanting, and become more isolated.
Plan your answer to have at least one paragraph starting 'When we are first introduced to XXX he is....' and a later one beginning 'By the end of the novel XXX has changed...'
ANON xx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
got 100% in gcse english lit 2017
pm me if u want to ask anything x
nawal_mohamud2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what was the question for the lord of the flies and if you had done love and relationship what were the poems and questioni wanted to do past papers but i cant find anything good XD thank you~~~
Eloiseyates
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey anon, I could do with a sample essay on the grades 6-7-8, presumably Macbeth but anything else will do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (203)
43.75%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.54%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (99)
21.34%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.34%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.82%

Watched Threads