The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful application even after accepting offer from uni

I applied for a top-up course through clearing. Seeing the slow response, I visited the university submitted my details and qualifications and they gave me an offer. I accepted the offer and kept in contact though email and by phone. Later I was told that my application was unsuccessful as the tutor has rejected my application. After getting unsatisfactory reason from the admission team I emailed the tutor. He said the main reason was because after looking at my academic transcript I was not doing well second year (got all pass) , third year didn’t work out (I failed hence the top-up) andwas too late to accept as the term has already started. Is it reasonable to reject an application even after accepting the offer and having meet the all initial requirements set by the university?
Original post by Sach0229
I applied for a top-up course through clearing. Seeing the slow response, I visited the university submitted my details and qualifications and they gave me an offer. I accepted the offer and kept in contact though email and by phone. Later I was told that my application was unsuccessful as the tutor has rejected my application. After getting unsatisfactory reason from the admission team I emailed the tutor. He said the main reason was because after looking at my academic transcript I was not doing well second year (got all pass) , third year didn’t work out (I failed hence the top-up) andwas too late to accept as the term has already started. Is it reasonable to reject an application even after accepting the offer and having meet the all initial requirements set by the university?

Did you get anything in writing?
When you say 'offer' - was this definitely confirmed via UCAS or just 'over the phone'?

'We'll look at your application, so please apply through Clearing' isnt an offer.
And any University can look at a Clearing application, decide they dont want you, and reject your Clearing application.

However, if you actually had a confirmed offer (UF) through UCAS then you have every right to be annoyed.
Contact the Head of Admissions at that Uni with full details.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Did you get anything in writing?

Yes, an email from uni where I had to accept the term and condition and confirm the acceptance.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
When you say 'offer' - was this definitely confirmed via UCAS or just 'over the phone'?

'We'll look at your application, so please apply through Clearing' isnt an offer.
And any University can look at a Clearing application, decide they dont want you, and reject your Clearing application.

However, if you actually had a confirmed offer (UF) through UCAS then you have every right to be annoyed.
Contact the Head of Admissions at that Uni with full details.

In the email through which I accepted the offer from the uni said

"To accept our offer please use the reply button below. Once you confirm your acceptance we will use the information you have provided to register you with UCAS. You will then become placed at ** University in the UCAS scheme. You cannot use this application to approach or transfer to any other institution within UCAS."
Original post by Sach0229
In the email through which I accepted the offer from the uni said

"To accept our offer please use the reply button below. Once you confirm your acceptance we will use the information you have provided to register you with UCAS. You will then become placed at ** University in the UCAS scheme. You cannot use this application to approach or transfer to any other institution within UCAS."

Write a carefully worded email to the Head of Admissions.

Dont get emotional/angry. Just give them the facts (with dates) in bullet point format and attach a copy of the 'offer' email and the one turning you away.

If what you have said here is true, then the Uni does have a case to answer.

Quick Reply