Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I’m applying for a position in a fairly large company and I got my CV and Cover Letter checked by a few people. I got them checked by a career advisor at uni who said:

- completely change the layout of my cv (I got this checked by 3 other people who said it was fine, 1 of them was an employer and he said he really liked it as it was a nice change considering how much CV’s he reads all in the same format

- make my cv from 2 pages to 1 by reducing the info. I’ve done a lot of programmes at uni to show my skills like working in teams projects etc all to make myself stand out as a candidate I can’t leave these. The other people I showed it to said max should be 2 pages and the extra stuff I’ve done are good as they’ll put me ahead

- change my Cover Letter entirely. I’ve shown this to other people including someone who works in a top position in law and went through tons of application processes to get where he is and has an idea of how to stand out and he said it was fine. I also showed it to someone who works at said company and has helped people in the past with applications and she said it was one of the best she’s ever seen

I feel like advisor didn’t really read much into my stuff and just wanted my cv to be his way rather than a little more clearer and concise the way it is now. With the Cover Letter he was telling me add stuff but I’d added them later in another para and it feels like he didnt really read it or look at it beforehand.

I want to ask : should I change everything as per the career advisor or leave it as it is? The deadline is soon and I may not get another appointment with careers in time so don’t want to risk changing it and it not flowing and ending up a mess. Plus people who work there have had a look and say it’s great so I’m a little conflicted
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mav455)
    You could always get a third opinion from the TSR CV Help forum, that might tip you one way or the other.

From what you've said, your CV should be one page not 2 in 99% of cases, but I can't tell much about the covering letter from what you've said.

If you want a view from CV Help, just open a private thread and upload the CV and letter as Word files and give a link to the job description
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You could always get a third opinion from the TSR CV Help forum, that might tip you one way or the other.

From what you've said, your CV should be one page not 2 in 99% of cases, but I can't tell much about the covering letter from what you've said.

If you want a view from CV Help, just open a private thread and upload the CV and letter as Word files and give a link to the job description
    I think this is a good suggestion really, as it's hard to give full feedback on changes you should make without first seeing the CV!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.