Do i need to buy a new calculator? Watch

Uranium Potato
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm doing Edexcel AS -Level Maths (2017 SPECIFICATION) and plan to continue to A-Level maths for definite (by the grace of God). Currently I'm using my GCSE calculator Casio FX ~ 83GT PLUS, and i asked my teacher if we need a new one. He said we don't need a new one but I don't know if he means for just AS, because i meant for both years - both AS AND A-Level. People from my old school had to buy calculators but it could be because theyre doing a different course altogether (ocr mei), they have the Casio FX - 991EX . It's obviously better if i get the new calculator now as i could get more practice with it, but im not sure as to whether or not we might need it? (because isn't a- level maths supposed to be harder and thus require better equipment?)
annagvozdenovic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i do the same spec and yeah you do need it, youll need it for stats cause we dont have the tables written in the exam paper anymore and the new calculator generates the tables for you.
Uranium Potato
Rep:
?
(Original post by annagvozdenovic)
i do the same spec and yeah you do need it, youll need it for stats cause we dont have the tables written in the exam paper anymore and the new calculator generates the tables for you.
are you on about the cumulative binomial tables?
annagvozdenovic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Uranium Potato)
are you on about the cumulative binomial tables?
yeah, the new calculator generates those for you
Uranium Potato
Rep:
?
(Original post by annagvozdenovic)
yeah, the new calculator generates those for you
that's cool but the exam does give the tables i just checked on their website (edexcel)
AdeptDz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Casio classwiz is nice, even though the Casio FX ~ 83GT PLUS should be fine.
annagvozdenovic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Uranium Potato)
that's cool but the exam does give the tables i just checked on their website (edexcel)
not sure then, just going off what my sixth form told me
jkedwards
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How much are you willing to spend?

I've just finished edexcel as maths and further maths and am continuing with both subjects this year. I got a very high A in both these subjects last year and the calculator I used really helped. So much so my 6th form college actually tells every student to go and buy one.

I have the casio fx9860 Gii and it is great. You can check a huge amount of answers with it in the exam which comes in very handy. I've linked the spec below for you to have a look at. It may seem expensive, but it is very much worth it in the end.

http://www.casio.com/products/calcul...ing/fx-9860gii
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?